Community
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Welding Work Geometry Error

Welding Work Geometry Error

Once ANY work geometry is constrained to a feature made on the Machining Process of a Weldment.iam, no more welds are able to be added in the Welding Environment unless the Work Geometry's "sick" mates are manually suppressed. Once the sick mates are suppressed, welds can once again be added to the Weldment. When returning to the top level, the errors must be accepted and the previously sick mates must be unsupressed.

It wouldn't let me post my file, but I hope these images help.

The following is an example of the work flow I have used in designing parts in the past:

I need to make a weldment. Let's start with two parts and weld them together. I'm not sure if I can put weld on the surfaces with the angled hole so let's try hold that with a groove weld on one surface until I am more sure.

01.JPG

Great. Now I have the part generally how I want. But wait! I just found out that it's better to do a fillet weld all the way around the top block. Let's try and edit that. I click on the Weld process as seen in the next picture.

02.JPG

Oh no! I'm getting the following error when I go to the Weld Process.

03.JPG

I'm going to click "Accept" any way because I know a way around this silly error. That geometry that is no longer available because it is defined during the Machining Process with respect to a feature made in the Machining Process. Let's explore this.

04.JPG

You can see that "Mate 2" is the culprit of the error. In fact that axis is completely headed in the wrong direction! That axis is supposed to be in line with "Hole 1." "Hole 1" was made during the Machining Process and therefore, cannot function in the Welding Process. Below is how "Work Axis 1" is supposed to look.

05.JPG

Let's get back to the problem though. While in the Welding Process, I cannot place down any new welds while this work axis has an error.

06.JPG

Well that looks good. It's got a nice preview and everything, but let's click "OK" and see what happens.

07.JPG

It does not allow you to put the weld in when the error message pops up. You can either edit the weld or cancel. Either option will not get you the weld. Let's try and fix our current process so that we are no longer working in a "Sick" model. To do this and not lose our Machining referenced Work Geometry, we need to suppress the guilty mate (mates).

After the sick mate is suppressed, the Welding Process that we are currently in is no longer "Sick." Let's add a fillet weld for fun.

Now I am going to "Return" to the top level. Once we accept the error and unsuppress "Mate 2," our drawing will be as happy as can be.

10.jpg

And the drawing is happy once again.

11.JPG

This process should be avoided in order to edit a Weldment.iam. I recommend either making Work Geometry process specific, automatically suppressing these type of errors, or making Inventor a little smarter so that it does not do this.

Thanks. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!! 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/can-t-add-welds-after-adding-machining-fea...

2 Comments
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. Weā€™re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. Weā€™ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report