Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
28 Kudos
mthomas

Virtual Component LIbrary

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-08-2012 11:30 AM

The ability of creating a virtual component library so that I can quickly add frequently used virtual components to my assembly already completed with the desired iProperty information

Comments
by Contributor jhunt107 on ‎11-08-2012 06:18 PM

I do love the idea of a quick access library, but did you know you can copy and paste virtual components from other assemblies. I recommend creating an empty assembly with a library of your virtual components.

by *Pro ‎11-09-2012 05:24 AM - edited ‎11-09-2012 05:24 AM

Did you know this can be done using ilogic and a excel spread sheet?

I have over 50 virtual components in my excel now that is ran with ilogic.

If you would like information on how to do this drop me an email.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-09-2012 05:44 AM

iLogic and Excel is an excellent idea, I will try that out

by Contributor jhunt107 on ‎11-11-2012 02:38 PM

I should have mentioned this first. FYI: I am currently not recommending Virtual Components to a client of mine because iProperties are only pulled from the first assembly used into a Vault "Item". If someone uses the same virtual component in a different assembly then changes the iProps they will not be updated on the Vault "Item". Instead I have them insert and ground an empty part.

However your ilogicspreadsheet idea sounds interesting jletcher, I will consider that.

by Valued Contributor DVDM on ‎11-14-2012 05:51 PM

Workarounds? Fine, but there's still a need for a standard content library managed centrally, not this 'load up a template file' business.

by Contributor MDS-MQ on ‎11-16-2012 09:27 AM

I have always used a "dummy part" Fill the I-properties in and leave the part blank (no model). This way you can add the part to the library and reuse it in as many places as you like.

Go Old school, long before the marketing driven software was conceived.

by Employee on ‎04-03-2013 12:14 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube