Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
38 Kudos
Jaychale

Vault/Browser Integration

by Active Contributor Jaychale on ‎12-28-2012 10:13 AM

Does the Vault browser really need to be a seperate window?

Couldn't we just add the colored dot next to each part in the main browser?

Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-08-2013 08:29 AM

What a neat idea... but I would be afraid that the model browser would become too cluttered. then to perform any vautl tasks, you still have to open the vault browser  I had rather see the vault browser to be broken away totally from the model browser so that it has its own window.  That way it could stay open all the time. Then I dont have to click,click to get it open, then click, click to get back to the model browser.

I know they put a Vault menu as a context item of the model browser, but I never use that. I am always aftraid I will check out and save over something that I dont have the latest on.

by Employee on ‎03-19-2013 01:02 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Active Contributor Jaychale on ‎03-19-2013 01:04 PM

Another suggestion I made was to make them independent windows that you could have up at the same time, don't always need the browser to be full screen height

by Active Contributor Jaychale on ‎11-12-2013 08:12 AM

Also the behavior of the context vault option is different, it is always doing a check in of every related part (But not drawings), whereas the vault browser looks at only the part in question (Unless you have the options for children as well)

by Distinguished Contributor tmoney2007 on ‎12-17-2013 08:41 PM

All we would need in the model browser would be an indication of the status of the file object in vault (checked in,  checked out by me, checked out by someone else) as well as local file status (out of date, edited out of turn, etc).

Interestingly enough, a developer at my company added this functionality for a (failed) home grown pdm system.  Its kind of funny that the native add-in doesn't have this functionality.  The moral of the story is that the api's required to make this work already exist in Inventor.

Having a flyout Vault browser that we can keep open and see the status of all the files in the model tree would be really useful as well.  I don't think there are many of us that don't usually have 2 monitors.

by Distinguished Contributor tmoney2007 on ‎02-03-2014 07:18 PM

I think it would be possible to completely do away with the vault panel. You really just need a file status icon and a tree view, similar to the vault panel view that only shows unique files with heirarchy as opposed to instances.

by Active Contributor Jaychale on ‎05-13-2014 12:02 PM

2 years and 28 kudos later, would it help if I add "Pretty please"?

Checking something out that you don't have the latest version of sucks. I forget to switch windows to check.

With a cherry on top?

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-04-2014 12:48 AM

If this ever makes it to dev, I will be very keen to provide detailed feedback at that point. 

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube