Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Tools Should work outside of Frame Generator

Frame Tools Should work outside of Frame Generator

Quite often it is necessary to just place structural pieces to create a frame construction.

One should not have to be forced to use frame generator in order to use the frame tools in order to trim members.

Please make these tools such that they work on both sides of the fence.

See attached thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Cannot-extend-member/m-p/3945121#U3945121

5 Comments
cbenner
Mentor

I can see this being handy for people who do small frames and do not want to use FG either at all, or at least not all of the time.

jtylerbc
Mentor

I've seen cases where I could have used something like that.  Typically for me it's a situation where I'm building a structure that is mostly plate, but has an angle or tube in it somewhere.  It's not worth actually creating a skeleton and frame for that, so I usually end up using Copy Object and Sculpt to do my trimming.

Obviously, my workaround is both more work and less reliable than FG tools. 

alessandro.gasso
Community Manager

Option for using the Notch function when combine frame generator steel shapes and sheet metal parts.
Notch.png

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes.

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found
that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

flueckchuck
Participant

@inv.ideareview  Can you please unarchive this and lets get a move on this. To make a single part that is a modification of a steel shape, it is quite unnecessary to have to use frame generator resulting in an assembly with extra files all because I put a hole in a c-channel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report