Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror assembly improvements - append symetric constraint option

Mirror assembly improvements - append symetric constraint option

I would lik to se a funktion in mirror assambly that uses added mirror constrains to the komponents. If i change the length of the table now i have to do the mirror again.

Mirror.png

27 Comments
Cadmanto
Mentor

What a pain it is when you mirror components in an assembly to have to either reconstrain the mirrored parts or ground them.  Why not make it possible to have the constraints be mirrored along with the components so everything is locked in just as it was from the origin side.

tuliobarata
Advocate

Thats is a thing that would be just...great!!  Nowadays I try to make everything but use mirror, always with Pattern when possible, or just with a Subistitute with Mirror feature. Would be nice to see this new mirror tool on IV 2015....or even 2014 :).

catot
Advocate

Agreed, especially when wanting to re-use parts that are symmetrical. But grounding the components does not relocate the mirrored part when the original is moved.

I use circular pattern to "mirror" components instead, that works, but the mirror command should be able to do that properly in the first place. I think the mirror-command in assembly is useless because of this, and that's why I never use it.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

This is a duplicate of http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Apply-constraints-when-reflect-components-Mirror-...

Please be sure to visit the other idea and cast your votes as to not split them. Thanks!

Cadmanto
Mentor

The link that you provided comes up with an error in the link.  Other wise I would vote for it.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

The ability to mirror associated constraints relative to a selected component set is supported today.  If you find certain constraints did not translate within the mirror output, chances are they were associated to components or workfeatures outside of you mirror selection set.  The idea posted here suggests the notion of providing a include/exclude toggle on constraints when mirroring.  Hope this makes sense.  Thanks -Dan

LeanderTorres
Advocate

I keep reading it is not possible to lock the position of the mirrored components in an assembly.

Isn't it possible to let Inventor create a minimum of 2 symetric constraints between the first component and its mirrored counterpart.

I hope this issue will be adressed.

Kind regards,

Leander Torres Falcato Simoes

Tags (3)
niksasa
Collaborator

If a component or impose on the coordinate planes is working to mirror component depends on two coordinates are saved, and one type is suppressed so as to mate constantly changing depending on fluch or vice versa

S-Barbieri
Contributor

it would be great to have the mirrored parts/subassys placed with a symmetry constraint with respect to the original parts/subassy

niksasa
Collaborator
BromanSillito
Advocate

My idea has to do with the lack of constraints created when you mirror a part in an assembly without mirroring the part it is constrained to. This is very, very frustrating to those of us migrating from other 3D modeling platforms that have no such problem. My idea is to create a new embedded constraint in the mirror command that constrains the mirrored part in space so that it is always the same distance, angle, and height in relation to the mirror plane as the original part. You could even list the constraint under both the original and mirrored parts feature tree. Thus, when this constraint is applied, the mirrored part will move in relation to the mirror plane exactly the same way as the original part. For legacy mirrored parts, the constraint will not be there but can be added if desired using the "Constrain" command.

h.schkorwaga
Advocate

I don't know exactly if the symmetry contrain was introduced in 2013 or 2014, but I wondered why Autodesk didn't implement this constrain when mirroring assemblies and parts at that time.

Recognition and reposition of mirrored parts is better in other cad-software - sorry guys.

steve.west
Advocate

I've already submitted a suggested improvement regarding mirrored parts that also raises this issue:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/improve-mirrored-parts/idi-p/5432336

I've suggested the option to ground the parts (this is the quick solution at present but you have to remember to do it) but mirroring the constraints would be better for automatic updating. I totally agree it is very frustrating. These parts can move out of place and your whole model can fall apart. Best to have the mirror include all the constraints as a default, with a tickbox to suppress if required.

jtylerbc
Mentor

In my opinion, this should have been added when the Symmetry constraint was introduced.  The fact that you have to mirror the parts, then go add Symmetry constraints to keep them mirrored is just silly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you build your table using the mid-plane, you shouldn't have to re-constrain or re-do the mirror, Simply click "Update".

stefan.jarbring
Participant

drfleau If i use just the mirror command and use the midplane, there is no inteligens in that. Inventor place the parts and ground them there it was at the time there mirror command where activated. 

2015-04-17_0822.png

stuartmp
Advocate

Not a bad idea, Why don'y you just Pattent the parts about the mid-plane or axis of the table or bottom tie, Rectangular (by length) or Axial (by 180 Degrees).

stefan.jarbring
Participant

Sometimes is it possible to use pattern but not all the time. I find it strange to have to say to users that it is no Idea to use mirror command because then you change the model it will not update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Mirror, you are able to build a table (or any symmetric part) 12" long, or 400' long without changing the mates. Don't mate the legs using the mid-plane, mate them from the edge of the table, or set up some dimension variables linked to the total length.

I would imagine in some cases this would not be the way to go, but in your example, this is totally feasable. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report