Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
153 Kudos
jberns

Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor

by Valued Contributor jberns on ‎11-02-2012 02:45 PM

The text editor of the Inventor drawing enviornment could use some updating.

I would like to see similar functionality as the AutoCAD editor.

• in-place editing (no dialog box)
  • contextual ribbon (but realize you still want to support those that use the previous toolbar interface)
  • numbered/bulleted lists
  • columns

An integrated spell checker would be useful was well. This would avoid having to install from the SDK.

Regards,

Jerry 

Accepted idea [US14238 & US5186].  Thanks!

Comments
by Contributor enigma on ‎04-17-2013 08:54 AM

I agree with the the OP, It's time Inventor stepped into the 21st century and implented a proper text editor.

by Distinguished Contributor msklein on ‎05-21-2013 12:05 PM

I started on version 3 and have continuously bitched about the lack of a spell checker since then, many times on this forum. As I have stated in the past the spell checker and to some extent the text editor should have been the first modgule in the program and or any new CAD program. This includes a engineering library as well as a custom library . There was a great add-on for autoCad back in the Dos day's that made the acad text editor look pathetic, I think "Cadedit" is still a far better text editor/ spell checker that anything autodesk has come up with for acad and it was only $10 per station back then. Check it out and use it as a templete for IV201? soon!

msk

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-20-2013 05:10 PM

The SDK spell checker doesn't permeate through all objects in the Inventor drawings environment. It just needs to be built into the text editor & also allow for recursive spell checking within the active document. It also needs to support adding company Acronyms & terminology to the dictionary. Which will go no end towards helping to further standardise drawings across staff & departments.

by Valued Contributor gary.belisle on ‎07-01-2013 08:52 AM

Another function that is missing from the text editor is the ability to force text to uppercase or lowercase. Often I have wanted to add Material to the notes driven by the model property but the material name is lowercase and I want it to be uppercase in the notes. OR have an option in the text styles to force all uppercase.

by Valued Contributor jberns on ‎07-01-2013 08:58 AM

A text case control (UPPER, lower, Title, etc.) could be useful when formatting iProperty values.

by *Pro on ‎07-19-2013 11:04 AM

Wow accepted man this is going to be one messy inventor when they get done adding autocad  look what happen when they added Solid works stuff..

I don't understand why you all want to type instead of setting up symbols. I guess you all miss the command line for typing..

After setting up symbols I never had to type anything for a year and then it was to make a new symbol.

by Valued Contributor jberns on ‎07-19-2013 12:01 PM

I was not asking Autodesk to add AutoCAD to Inventor. This has nothing to do with symbols.

I requested enhanced features in the Inventor text editor.

Perhaps you do not create bullet or numbered lists, perhaps you do not require a spell checker. That's fine.

The purpose of this site is to offer constructive feedback and requests to Autodesk to enhance their products based on customer requests.

Regards,

Jerry 

by *Pro ‎09-19-2013 11:29 AM - edited ‎09-19-2013 11:29 AM

Please Jerry I am an engineer we all know we can't spell.

I welcome a good spell checker as stated in early post.

As far as bullets or number list yes I have used them but I set it all up with symbols.

I have used Inventor from day one of being born and when symbols were not there yet. At that time I would agree. But after symbols I have never used the text editor but a few times and that was only to make new symbol.

I am glad it was accepted for you all that need it but I just hope it does not end up a big mess like the interface..

by Valued Contributor jberns on ‎09-19-2013 12:12 PM

Acknowledged.

Autodesk has an opportunity to make a good first impression of an enhanced editor.

I worked through the metamorphosis of AutoCAD Mtext Editors since Release 12. I hope they do plenty of Usability Studies and work with Beta testers to determine the best interface. I hope you will be able to participate.

Adding features while sacrificing performance and usability is certainly not my goal. I look forward to seeing what Autodesk develops.

Regards,

Jerry

by *Expert Elite* on ‎09-19-2013 02:12 PM

FYI - BETA releases are typically for finding unexpected behavior, rather than developing  a work process or gauging its acceptance.  In order to get a reasonably consistent programming effort the specs are set at the start rather than at the end (code is the end product, not the starting point).

This would be more a function of the AutoDesk Labs, where they release a tool or plug-in for feedback by the community at large instead of a select group of "one-percenters".

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube