Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
168 Kudos
jberns

Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor

by Valued Contributor jberns on ‎11-02-2012 02:45 PM

The text editor of the Inventor drawing enviornment could use some updating.

I would like to see similar functionality as the AutoCAD editor.

• in-place editing (no dialog box)
  • contextual ribbon (but realize you still want to support those that use the previous toolbar interface)
  • numbered/bulleted lists
  • columns

An integrated spell checker would be useful was well. This would avoid having to install from the SDK.

Regards,

Jerry 

Accepted idea [US14238 & US5186].  Thanks!

Comments
by *Pro on ‎11-09-2012 06:20 AM

Leave autocad out of inventor.

by Valued Contributor jberns on ‎11-09-2012 06:35 AM

I don't understand your comment. I am not asking to put AutoCAD in Inventor, just some of its text-editor functionality.

After twelve years of almost no improvement to the text editor I was suggesting an update.

I was just expressing an opinion I thought may be shared by others. I respect your feedback though.

Kind regards,

Jerry

by Valued Contributor DVDM on ‎11-14-2012 06:53 PM

Agreed, text editing in Inventor needs to be lifted to the same capability as available in AutoCAD.

In particular I'm after bulleted lists.

Engineers checking our drawings, as well as some users new to Inventor, are regularly baffled by what Inventor can't do in this regard.

People like jletcher clearly never need to make drawings, or are a one man drawing office where they create, check and approve everything they make themselves.

by *Pro on ‎11-29-2012 07:50 AM

DVDM,

I have done a lot of drawing and yes I had to check my own  more than you more than likely. But what does that have to do with putting acad text in Inventor?

I hated autocad text. Still do..

I think you just need to figure out how to use Inventor or go back to Autocad.  Leave Autocad crap out of Inventor don't you think you have enough bugs in Inventor now you want to add Autocad bugs to it.

What you are asking for to me should be a symbol create one time done...

People like DVDM need to learn how to use Inventor rather than changing it into Autocad... Or just go back maybe Inventor is over your head.

I have been using Inventor from day one, taught it, went and set up 30 companies over 360 engineers and not one said anything about the text in Inventor.

Just learn the software if you need help I still teach.... email me..

by Contributor MDS-MQ on ‎12-17-2012 09:37 AM

Letcher... You are usually right on the money with your comments but if you cannot see the issues with Inventors text editing capabilities then you need to loose the blinders.

I have been on Inventor since R4 and anyone that I have worked with over the last 10 years or so have had nothing good to say about the text editor.

It is getting worse as we speak... The new Spell Check add on that came with 2013 only recognizes spelling mistakes if the word is in lower case letters. What drawing office uses lower case letters on there drawings? I realize that in the computer generated age of engineering drawings this is really not required but how many offices have made the change to lower case letters.

It is not AutoDesk's place to drive change in the creation of drawings. It should be up to them to supply there customers with the best dam Modeling and drawing software they can coble together.

by *Pro on ‎12-17-2012 01:17 PM

MDS,

1st thank you...

And if you are just talking spell checker I agree with that but spell check and editor are two things.

And this is asking for the text editor to be like autocad's.

What I don't understand is everyone knows engineers can't spell so why would you come out without one?

But I still don't think that autocad editor should be in Inventor to me and many I know hate it.

Now does it need more options in Inventors yes but please not autocad's.

by Contributor dmiller on ‎01-21-2013 07:22 AM

Columns and numbered lists would really be useful for our drawing notes.  We have to put in tabs and spaces constantly to create an orderly list that doesn't look like it was just thrown on.

by Employee on ‎01-28-2013 12:45 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US14238] is under review by the development team.
by Active Contributor ic198 on ‎02-17-2013 08:03 PM

It would be very useful if there was a way to add an automatic border or outline to a text box.

It would also be very useful if there was some way to set the width of Leader Text and have the text automatically wrap to the next line (like you can with normal Text)

I agree with the dmiller's post about columns and numbered lists

by Employee ‎03-12-2013 12:59 PM - edited ‎04-30-2013 01:28 PM
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US14238 & US5186].  Thanks!

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube