Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off LINK by default to insert images

Turn off LINK by default to insert images

Dear Dev,

When you insert an image in Inventor (ie to use as a decal) the LINK option is turned on by default. This looks nice, but can create a lot of issues lateron (especially when using Vault). So I think it would be better to turn it of by default, because if you forget you'll get in trouble lateron and this is very annoying...

LINK images.JPG

14 Comments
fsanchou
Advocate

image_link.png

Most users do not need to update the pictures after having inserted in the sketch.

mikeh7
Collaborator

We've link files so that if we need to update the image we can.  We use images sometimes for assembly clarity like house routing.

We prefer it linked.  Perhaps make it an Application option?

kwilson_design
Collaborator

i gave kudos but would want this in the Application Option somewhere.

We link our files as well. It's an annoyance having them linked if you're a vault user but it is easier to maintain file relationships if they are linked. 

jtylerbc
Mentor

I agree with making it an application option to set the default.  I personally would probably turn default linking off, but can see where companies that want more control over the images would want it the other way.

steve.west
Advocate

I agree. Same issue occurs if you use an image file in your title block. 

fsanchou
Advocate
douthett
Collaborator
I agree with this idea. Too often we have to redo our work because we forgot to uncheck the link box. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if the 'Break Link' command wasn't broken
nike_bytom
Enthusiast

I agree!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello fsanchou,

Although your Idea was posted first (on 9/12/2013) another duplicate Idea already has over 60 kudos applied to it.  As such I am going to mark this Idea as Duplicate and keep the other as the Master.  The Master Idea can be found here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/turn-off-link-by-default-to-insert-images/idi-p/5...

Please be sure to cast your kudo to it as to not split votes.  Thanks for understanding.  -Dan

s.wile
Advocate

I can think of few reasons to link images to a sketch. Constantly I deal with companies with years of legacy files tied to several image files that have long since been lost.

Currently I am working on a project that will involve many images to reference splines over. I do not want any of the images linked yet I keep linking them by mistake.

The Link check box should not be check by default. Most users are not even aware they are creating a dependancy when bringing in reference images.

Tags (3)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-51799]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello, this Idea has already been submitted here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/turn-off-link-by-default-to-insert-images/idi-p/5...

Please cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to not split votes.  Thanks! -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

jason_mcdonald
Explorer

Earlier this year I upgraded to IV2019 and was dismayed that my circuit board image files (that I'm constantly updating during the product development cycle) were no longer update-able and were not checking into Vault like they used to.  It took me a while to find this thread and subsequently the "Link" check box.  Now I have to try to remember to check the Link box every time I make a PCB decal.

Question:   Is there a setting somewhere that toggles the default setting somewhere?  Or could the Link checkbox just default to it's last-used status? 

Untitled.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report