Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube and Pipe: multiple selection change size

Tube and Pipe: multiple selection change size

Haven't found this on the idea station. I am trying to get something similar as "replace should replace all selected components" but for tube and pipe elements.

When you do a run sometimes you need to change size of multiple fittings and pipes.

I don't mean change the style.

On a 2" run I can have a drain or sample valve and I need to change just those end fittings and pipes without affecting the whole run or without doing another separate run.

If you select multiple elments (content center items) there is no change size option. I have "CS" as change size shortcut but it only changes the first element selected.

10.jpg

11.jpg

28 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are these actually athored as tube and pipe components? They appear to be standard content center files not authored for use with tube and pipe. With T&P authored components, you should have this option if the families all have the same nominal diameter options available in their family tables, they do not need to be the same size, just have similar ND keys. For instance accross imperial and metric families the option will not be available.

Change Sichange s

salariua
Mentor

Hi Tim, 

You are correct, it should work with Change FItting Diameter but it's not always available (as seen bellow). I have 3 Parker valves selected (all the same size and all same content center family)  and it's not available, they are authored tube and pipe fittings.

My idea was, since the "replace should replace all selected" has been approved and to be implemented they can use that code to change size of one and replace rest of selected.

The change fitting diameter and edit fitting orientation should work on all authored tube an pipe components.

50.jpg

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-57416]. Thanks!

salariua
Mentor

Thanks Dan,

This is really good news.

lesmfunk
Collaborator

Any timeline for implementation? That's what really counts.

salariua
Mentor

As far as I understand it's allready working in 2016 but I haven't had time to check it out.

I remember getting and email from Dan asking me to test it in 2016 beta.

lesmfunk
Collaborator

Then this should be changed to implemented. I don't see it in the What's New

The absence of this feature is a major roadblock to using the CC for flexible hose routing. It renders the Change Size feature useless. IMO the dual systems of CC family tables and T&P styles need to merge into one, not fight each other.

salariua
Mentor

I've documented this in detail and sent and email to Dan and several others, asking to expand this idea: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/please-add-quot-replace-selected-quot/idi-p/43662... and make it work for T&P change size.

That has been implemented so as a last resort you can generate the new size you want and use multi-select replace to change several. 

I really must install 2016 and have a go at it. Hope it temporarily solves your problem. I do agree that styles and CC seem to be fighting each other.

kimpelri
Contributor

Multi-select and change for CC files does not work in 2016. It's all or one.

salariua
Mentor

hI @kimpelri, the idea is accepted not implemented.

Try the "Change Fitting Diameter" if it's available (not grayed out). There are some known issues with this as well but maybe that's working.

Same problem with any Content Center items. "Change Size" will not change for multiple selected components. We either have to use "Replace All" or Replace Component for each.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@salariua @Gabriel_Watson @kimpelri @lesmfunk,

If "Change Fitting Diameter" does not work for your dataset, could you send the dataset to me for investigation? Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

River-Y, now in 2018 I see that when selecting multiple Content Center items I can hit "Replace from Content Center..." and change sizes of multiple items at the same time. Thank you.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@Gabriel_Watson, Does it mean that there is no problem for you? As you could get "replace from content center" to make it done.

@Yijiang.Cai, as long as the functionality is there and can be used, I am ok with the interface having two different commands that will do basically the same thing (Change Size for one, Replace from C.C. for 2+).

Inventorstar
Enthusiast

Ability to change the Size of all selected Content Center Parts in an assembly (sure, the Parts have to be the same Family and Size)

But the option "replace all" is sometimes not useful

Tags (2)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

MrSmithtastic
Advocate

Was about to raise something very similar to this as an idea and was pleased to see someone had already gone down this road. We need to be able to multi-select any group of content centre parts and then change the size of them. It's not good enough to either change every single one of the same size within an assembly or just one at a time. That has to be the least logical workflow for any designer/engineer.

I am forever needing to tweak one set of screw lengths and when I only need to change 10 in an assembly and leave the other 30 as they are it is very time consuming and frustrating.

Please add this.

MrSmithtastic
Advocate

This idea is a piggyback of this one really and also needs voting up.

ContentCenter Change Size with multi selection - Autodesk Community

Duplicate to an earlier Idea post (both should be merged) from 2014:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/tube-and-pipe-multiple-selection-change-size/idc-p/108...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report