Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube & Pipe Constraints & Dimensions

Tube & Pipe Constraints & Dimensions

For those of us who do not use  Auto Routes in tube & pipe, it would be very handy if the dimensions and constraints I plce in a route do not change unless I change them.  Currently these constraints and dimensions can randomly change whenever I add, delete or change a fitting in the route.  Once I have placed a dimension or constraint, I should at the very least be given the option of locking them so they cannot change if something else in the route changes.

Example:  I want the corner of a route to be an exact distance from the edge of my machine frame, so I place a dimension from the endpoint of the route to a workplane created in the route using "Include Geometry".  I then add a tee to that leg of the route, and the dimension I placed (as well as any constraints) are replaced by dimensions that Inventor places on the route.  Inventor does not know my design intent better than I do, so I should have complete control over these dimensions and constraints... if they blow up on me, let it be on my head.

3 Comments
salariua
Mentor

Chris,

Let's provide some visuals, to show the people what we mean. In the image bellow I have a fully constrained rote. All I want to do is add a couple of nodes for positioning new fittings. Inserting one node brakes a fully constrained route and adds unnecessary dimensions that we don't want. It's very had to predict the precise exact position of all fittings when doing the route so we need to be able to add nodes without braking existing geometry.

410.gif

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2021. A property panel containing many options (including disable Auto-Route) has been delivered when creating new routes. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report