Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
128 Kudos
crmayo

Transparent parts in assemblies

by Contributor crmayo on ‎08-28-2013 11:25 AM

Users of SolidWorks know how easy it is to make a part transparent.  This is real handy when you’re checking hole patterns, clearances, or showing customers concepts.  In Inventor you can change part transparencies by using “enable” or selecting an alternate material. If you uncheck enable, you lose the ability to select the part making it difficult to find in large assemblies.  Personally, I don't like switching back and forth between materials to make a part temporarily transparent.

I would like Inventor to have an easy transparency option like this:

make transparent.png

Hello Crmayo, When in large assemblies....You have the ability to window select (right-to-left) or cross select (left-to-right) components that are "Disabled" (Enabled = unchecked). If located in the browser, using the "Find in Window" command should also work nicely. Lastly the "Find Assembly components" tool can be used to locate parts in your browser. Set the Property: to "Enabled", set the Condition: to "is No" then select Find Now. Given this, please let me know if these would eliminate the need for a "Make Transparent" option. Thanks! -Dan
Comments
by Contributor dmiller on ‎09-04-2013 10:58 AM

I would also like the ability to honor the transparency down to the feature level.  I frequently make parts that in the real world the base material is somewhat transparent but some features on the surface are not.  In Inventor if I specifiy a transparent material (i.e. glass or quartz) for the base and an opaque one (i.e. chrome) for a surface feature the intended opaque material will show as transparent.  Is this a shortcut in the rendering engine or a deficiency?

by *Expert Elite* on ‎09-18-2013 07:24 AM

This is a feature many of our former ProE users "scream" for as its one of the things they miss

by *Expert Elite* on ‎09-18-2013 09:10 AM

That would be nice. What I do now is change the color to "clear".  Takes a few clicks, but it works.

by Distinguished Contributor mikeh on ‎09-18-2013 09:32 AM

If you flip back and forth a lot on a given assembly you could set up a View Representation too, so you could flip back and forth with a double click.

by Employee on ‎10-09-2013 01:23 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
Hello Crmayo, When in large assemblies....You have the ability to window select (right-to-left) or cross select (left-to-right) components that are "Disabled" (Enabled = unchecked). If located in the browser, using the "Find in Window" command should also work nicely. Lastly the "Find Assembly components" tool can be used to locate parts in your browser. Set the Property: to "Enabled", set the Condition: to "is No" then select Find Now. Given this, please let me know if these would eliminate the need for a "Make Transparent" option. Thanks! -Dan
by Contributor crmayo on ‎10-10-2013 03:55 AM

Hi Dan,  

Thanks for sharing your tips.  In large assemblies I prefer to use the pointer to select parts, not crossing windows or regular windows.  Most of the time when I need something transparent it isn't a large group of parts and the time it takes to rotate the model so I can use a window select without selecting an unwanted geomerty seems like wasted time to me.

The problem with disabled part is that I can't use or edit it in the transparent state.  Most of the time when I have a part transparent I am using it as a checking tool and I need to added clearances, cut sections or use it to check a distance etc...

Perhaps you could allow the user to select a checkbox in applications options that would allow them to use parts / assemblies that are disabled.  Personally, I just want to turn the part transparent without overriding other model features like color, material or selection.

by kevinb on ‎11-13-2013 02:02 PM

I agree with the desire for this feature, I currently use a work around where I set the model body to have the appearance of Blue - Glazing (my most common one to use, it's useful for fluid filled objects such as hydraulic tanks).

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube