Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
145 Kudos
schnautza

Transparent part option in drawing

by Valued Contributor schnautza on ‎05-22-2013 11:45 AM

I'm working on an assembly that has some polycarbonate sheet as a cover. I'd like it if I could see what is behind the clear material in my drawing.

This is very different than wanting hidden lines - I do NOT want to see every hidden line of the parts behind the transparent material. I only want to see the next visible part, maybe as a lighter line, but only the visible edges.

It would be great if there was an option when you right click a part to set as transparent in the drawing - similar to toggling visibility or hidden lines.

transparenttransparent2.png

Accepted idea [US19752]. Thanks!
Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎05-23-2013 10:59 AM

I think, in this case, you can accomplish what you need by turning of the visibility of your polycarbonate part.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎05-24-2013 04:36 AM

Hi,

Until AD will think of this you can have a workaround.

Edit the view and pick "Shaded" style. you will have the same look as you have in the assembly .

Maybe you can do a new sheet and put on it Isometric view as Shaded. 

shaded.png

by Valued Contributor schnautza on ‎05-28-2013 02:51 PM
@mrattray - Turning the visibility off will make the edges of this part disappear. I still want to see the outline of it. @Dan.M - Our company plotter does not like the shaded views - everything is very dark with shading. I avoid shaded views when possible.
by *Expert Elite* on ‎05-30-2013 11:18 AM

Another work around to consider may be changing your polycarbonate part's BOM structure to reference. In your view settings dialog there will be an option under model state for hidden line calculation. Set that to reference data separately and any parts under neath it will be shown. You can set line style to as parts in the same dialog to get rid of the reference lines. The "hidden" parts will show as visible lines. One problem with this is the polycarbonate parts wont show on your BOM when they're set to reference.

by Valued Contributor timdown73 on ‎06-03-2013 08:30 AM

Just a thought here...Shell the part (deselect the faces that you want to see through) by ohhh .001in.   That should be close enough to keep them from showing up as double lines on the drawing and still show in the BOM.  Density and volume will be incorrect though.

by Valued Mentor on ‎06-06-2013 09:32 AM

This would be nice. One way I've simulated this is by creating a break out(s) using the profile of the transparent part in the view. I then set the break out to be from a point on the part and a depth of the thickness of the surface. Allows me to simulate transparency but keeps the parts in the BOM at the proper component types.

by Contributor Scotty87 on ‎07-04-2013 01:51 AM

This can be achieved using view representations and overlay views.

In the assembly, create a new view rep, turning off the visibility of the part to be transparent. Then in the drawing, place a base view of the assembly and select the new view rep as the view to be displayed. Click overlay view, select the base view, and then select the default view as the overlay. This will show the invisible/transparent part as dashed lines, and display everything otherwise obscured by it.

If you get a message about the lack of a positional rep, create a dummy positional rep in the assembly; this will allow you to continue creating the overlay.

Hope this helps.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎07-10-2013 02:36 PM

I thought this was the place to ask for improvements, not get workarounds. (The shell thing and the breakout are probably the only ones that are close to being acceptable.)

We could also use something for expanded/perforated metal and similar things - but don't let that slow down work on transparency without shaded views. Thank you.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎08-17-2013 05:22 PM

Totally agree with the idea.  There are workarounds to get you close, but they are just that.... workarounds.

by Employee on ‎10-08-2013 12:03 PM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US19752]. Thanks!
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube