Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent Model Browser

Transparent Model Browser

A lot of people seem to want a Solidworkesque or Fusion like transparent model browser. Solid Edge also has this. While it does provide more screen real estate, it can also be quite hard to read. So I hate to say it I like Solidworks implementation of it.

I would have it set to the current Inventor method most of the time. But having used Inventor HSM & HSMWorks, it aint half handy being able to add a transparent browser tree on the side of the HSM browser, there are a number of occasions where drilling down into components and features in the model browser would be very handy while keeping the CAM panels open. Figuring out what you need to do with holes, or checking draft angles etc.. 

So while I wasn't a fan, having seen how it can be leveraged during CAM (maybe even FEA) workflows, I definitely would like to see this appear as not only an option, but also as a secondary browser, just like Solidworks.... urggh, I feel dirty. 😉

6 Comments
dvsmiller9
Advocate

So long as the interface remains uncluttered.  The Solidworks interface is soooo busy.  The Fusion browser is .... OK. Not a fan but it's usable.

I agree with Scott that it's hard to read.  Some argue it adds screen real estate but that's not a valid argument IMO when the browser is always on top of the model you're trying to see.

I would prefer it to be an option, like the icon and general color schemes, etc.  

mrattray
Advisor

Can you provide any examples (pictures) of how this would be an improvement? I'm not familiar with HSM/HSMWorks, and last time I used SolidWorks it still had the Inventor style browser. I remember CATIA V5 having a"transparent" browser, but I don't remember it being useful at all.

scottmoyse
Mentor

Hey Mike (@mrattray)

It pops up when you are in command, so in the example image below, I'm editing a toolpath/job setup and the transparent browser makes itself available for use, over the top of the graphics window:

2014-06-19_11-34-29.jpg

I'd wouldn't be keen to use that as the permanent browser, but it's pretty handy in this situation.

bobvdd
Alumni

Scott,

Unchecking the "Operation dialog and CAM browser" option in Inventor HSM is exactly meant to do this: show either the CAD or CAM browser while an operation dialog stays up. Are you saying that this is not enough and you want even more browser clutter?

scottmoyse
Mentor

Hey Bob,,

I didn't realise it was possible until yesterday when I posted that reply in the CAM forum. However, it's VERY broken and you can't actually select most of the stuff. We need the full context menu, so we can control the visibility of sketches, to then select sketch profiles for contours etc... 

So, it's good news that the mechanism is there at least. But currently it's of no use. It also throws this error quite regularly when attempting to select objects in the Model browser:

2014-07-30_11-08-01.jpg

bobvdd
Alumni

Scott,

This error might occur when you have NO TOOL selected prior to selecting geometry from the model browser.

This was logged as defect IVM-1685: Unspecified error after selecting geometry from model browser when no tool is selected

As far as I can see (after making sure to have a tool selected prior to selecting geometry), the mechansim of selecting entities  in the model browser DOES work for sketches and UCS. And those two groups were the main targets.

Whether the sketch is visible or not does not really matter. You can select invisible sketches as geometry for CAM operations.

I am not denying that this functionality can be imade more complete and more comfortable. Whether it is high on the priority list is another story.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report