Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread interference analysis filters

Thread interference analysis filters

Good morning, I suggest to make possible to check/uncheck a flag to exclude/include threaded parts (library part and/or normal part)  in interference analysis...

This option could simplify the interference analysis of assembly...

Thanks

18 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

I use the "Analyze Interference" tool quite often to check for unintentional interference in my assemblies.  This gives much more thorough results than if I tried to do this check visually.  However, there are some issues I have with this tool.  Many of these assemblies contain weldment subassemblies (welded plate or frame structures).  There are also often threaded holes and fasteners.  This leads to two problems:

1.  Weld beads often cause some sort of interference.  In many cases, eliminating these interferences with the weld environment's commands would be very difficult or time consuming,  and thus not worth the effort.

2.  Inventor's own default modeling values for threads cause male and female threaded surfaces to show up as an interference.

After running an interference analysis on an assembly under these conditions, I often have to try to pick the real problems out from among all of these false positives. 

I would like to see an addition to the interference analyzer to allow filtering out of objects (preferably filtered before the analysis so it will calculate faster, but filtering the results would also be acceptable).  In particular, I would like to be able to filter out weld beads and threaded features.  There may also be some speed benefits to a filter for standard parts, so hardware can be left out of the analysis when not relevant.

jtylerbc
Mentor

There is an idea I posted a couple of weeks ago that includes this request (plus some) at:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Interference-Analysis-Filters/idi-p/3934401

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, We are Autodesk Inventor Users Group Japan.

We are the activities that convey to Autodesk the needs of users in Japan.

This idea is #2 strong demand from users in Japan last year, we have received.

Every year, We request this topic. Please improve.

Thank you.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted Idea [US-50795]. Thanks! This sub idea is also reported here. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Analyze-Interference-Make-amp-retain-a-measurable...

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello Jtylerbc,

I have modified your Idea to be a duplicate of the following Idea request, found here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/thread-interference/idc-p/4758455#M3920

Even though your post is about three weeks older, the other Idea has more kudos and will be used as the Master Idea going forward.  Please be sure to cast your kudo to it as to not split votes.  Thanks for undertanding. - Dan

filat
Advisor

I suggest to correct error in "Analize Interference". Essence of error consists in that interferences are detecting in correct bolted connections, in which bolts and nuts have equal diameters of screw-thread.

Болт М8 - Гайка М8 и Болт М8 - Гайка М6-2.png

P.S. There are two related topics: 1  and   2

Please consider the possibility of combining or grouping.

DWhiteley
Advisor

I agree & IGNORE these interferences when driving constraints with collision detection on.

jtylerbc
Mentor

This idea is a duplicate.  See the existing post below, which is already listed as an accepted idea.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/thread-interference-analysis-filters/idi-p/429595...

DWhiteley - your comment is not addressed in the accepted version of the idea.  It might be good for you to post it seperately as a new idea (if it doesn't already exist on its own).

filat
Advisor

jtylerbc,  I saw an idea, a link to which you typed. But this idea does not suit me, because there simply is proposed to exclude from the analysis of the thread intersections.

stuartmp
Advocate

Great to see this has been accepted.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Nice image Filat.  Error handling will definitely be a factor & consiidered upon delivering interference analsys filters.  For the time being this is a duplicate request of your related topic #1.  So I am marking this as a duplicate of the Master Idea here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/thread-interference-analysis-filters/idc-p/475845...

Thanks! -Dan

bofeldtj
Contributor

There is an additional part to this interference checking, not only does it need to be checking the thread size but also the pitch and the hand (left vs right). I would love to see this added.

pdecker
Advocate

How about making the analysis dialog box bigger (or expandable) so we don't have to constantly scroll side to side to see the results. Most other dialog boxes are resizeable. Also, if any dialog box is re-sized and/or re-positioned, it should retain that setting even after it's closed.

ohta_akira
Advocate

How about pitch, righthand/lefthand, depth?

thread depth.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

i would like to know when we can expect this

pdecker
Advocate

Why would you want to eliminate welds beads? I would want to know if I have to relieve a corner of a part to clear the weld.

jtylerbc
Mentor

Let's say you have a long welded joint, which has some stiffener plates in various locations along the joint.  In this example, the entire structure gets fit up, tacked, then fully welded by zipping up around all the plates.  In reality the long weld has interruptions at the stiffeners.  There wouldn't be a corner relief because the weld doesn't really exist yet, and will never exist behind the stiffener.

This may sound lazy, and probably is.  Modeling this accurately using the tools available in the weld environment (Start & Stop, multiple beads along the same joint, etc.). is a pain, and sometimes just isn't worth the time and effort.  So I will just create a bead that runs the entire length of the joint, and ignore the fact that it actually protrudes through the stiffener plates.  When I'm doing this, using the Interference Analysis can create a large number of false positives.

Your reason for wanting to be able to detect interferences with the weld is a perfectly valid one, and one that I need in other scenarios as well.  That's why I requested this as a "filter" that you could include or exclude as needed, rather than universally removing it from the analysis.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017.3.  Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it and added your additional requests within the comments.  We were able to deliver a number of improvements based on your feedback.  Thanks to everyone! -Dan

Please check out the following links for more info on what we delivered in Inventor 2017.3:

Analyze Interference Help

Inventor 2017.3 Whats New

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report