Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Template Files - Eliminate the Pull Down

Template Files - Eliminate the Pull Down

We all know that if you are starting a new file and you select the "New" file icons whether it be on the Inventor logo icon, the Quick Access icon or the Ribbon menu icon, you'll be prompted to select which template file you want. This is great especially for those who use multiple templates.

But here's the problem that we all also know all too well, if you select the pull down arrow that's offered under the Inventor logo icon or the Quick Access icon, the system opens the default, shipped with Inventor "Standard" named templates.

Yes, one could simply rename their custom templates to the name of "Standard.xxx" and they'll be able to use their custom templates in that way, but what about those that again, use multiple templates for the same type of file? The only option they have is to name their most commonly used type of template as "Standard", but that really isn't helping much.

Let's get rid of this silly pull down and eliminate the risk of users selecting the wrong template. I've seen it happen at a lot of places and it's rather frustrating to the user when it's realized after the fact. I also understand that training the users and educating them on the issue is key as well, but who here has never fat fingered a selection?

Seriously, it's time to kill the pull down templates.

"Kill the pull down!"

"Kill the pull down!"

"Kill the pull down!"

"Kill the pull down!"....

Ok I'll shut up now.

6 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

Another possible option (besides killing it, which I wouldn't be totally opposed to either), would be to make them user-definable in the Application Options.  That way they could be set to your most commonly used template files for each type, without having to rename them to "standard".

MattH_Work
Collaborator

Don't kill it, I use it every day

Give us an option to set the template used

CadCol1n
Explorer

I have to agree with Joflaherty on this. I have worked with companies that produce models and drawings for multiple clients, each have their own drawing templates (idw and dwg in some cases) and one common client has three different templates depending upon the age of the project being worked on.

The drop-down menu is a menace that can't be re-configured by CAD Managers or Administrators.

Please loose it!!

As a CAD Manager / Administrator I need my team to use only the templates provided by the client not the one they think they can get away with.

If you can't loose it then how about linking it to the other 'NEW' functions as least this will keep everyone using the same templates.

GRSnyder
Collaborator

I'm looking for some way around this as well. I want some reassurance that everything has been configured exactly the way I want it, so I want to make the default template for a given project be named, e.g. "<Project> Part.ipt". That way there's no possibility of confusion or misconfiguration - I'll see the right name in the Create window, for example, but not have to go through any extra steps to select it.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report