Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ability to add text to a table setting ipart

The ability to add text to a table setting ipart

Hello Created two user parameter: numeric and text. 

Безымянный29.JPG

They added to the sketch. Created engraving. 

Безымянный31.JPG

Безымянный32.JPG

Why not add text to a table setting ipart to change the engraving details? Why it can not be eTsifry you can add, and the text can not. This greatly facilitates the work of creating designs ipart with different text engraved.

Безымянный30.JPG

36 Comments
LT.Rusty
Advisor

I've got a ton of parts that I work with that are identical with the exception of color & markings, and I'd love to be able to make better use of iParts.  Colors are no problem, but the markings can be.  The way it works right now, I have to make individual extrusion or emboss features for each different marking, and then suppress / unsuppress in each factory member.  Wouldn't it be great to be able to just make one extrusion which calls the text to be extruded from a parameter, and then just vary the parameter in the factory members?

Also, why can't we bring text parameters in from Excel spreadsheets?  That particular restriction just doesn't seem to make sense.  If Inventor can figure out that "in" or "ul" or "lbforce" in the third column means something, then it doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to figure out what "text" in the third column would mean ...

HericS
Enthusiast

Does somebody knows the answer to what LT. Rusty is asking on this post? I have a similar situation where I need to import a text rather than unit or unitless. I know we can do that directly within the inventor parameters but I need this to be controlled with my excel spreadsheet.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks,

Eric

LarrenSmoot
Explorer

I have a work around to get specific Text into the Inventor model using numeric data.  I have models driven by over 400 parameters from Excel.  Thye all start as numbers but can be translated back into text.  To make this work you must know and predefine the boundries of your text options. 

First you need to list and identify the text options you need and then identify them by number.

In Excel you can use something like a VLOOKUP or IF funtion to fill in the Parameter with a number.  The number is used to identify what text Inventor will select to put in it's place.

For instance, the Excel parameter will define the parameter.    

Example:

XL_Intake_Option = 3 in

Once you link the the Excel parameters to Inventor then Inventor will identy the parameter XL_Intake_Option with the number 3

Using iLogic you can write a simple rule that changes the number to text or in this case simply suppress or turn on certain parts or assemblies based on the option chosen in Excel. 

If XL_ENCLOSURE_INTAKE_OPTION = 1 Then

'Inlet_style = "Louver_Intake"

Component.IsActive("Wall_front") = False

Component.IsActive("Wall_HF") = False

Component.IsActive("Wall_HF2") = False

ElseIf XL_ENCLOSURE_INTAKE_OPTION = 2 Then

'Inlet_style = "Hood_external"

ElseIf XL_ENCLOSURE_INTAKE_OPTION = 3 Then

'Inlet_style = "Hood_internal"

Component.IsActive("Wall_HF") = True

Component.IsActive("Wall_HF2") = True

ElseIf XL_ENCLOSURE_INTAKE_OPTION = 4 Then

'Inlet_style = "Silencer_Intake"

Component.IsActive("Wall_front") = True

ElseIf XL_ENCLOSURE_INTAKE_OPTION = 5 Then

'Inlet_style = "Sidewall_Louvers"

ElseIf XL_ENCLOSURE_INTAKE_OPTION = 6 Then

'Inlet_style = "Sidewall_Hood"

ElseIf XL_ENCLOSURE_INTAKE_OPTION = 7 Then

'Inlet_style = "Intake_Wall"

ElseIf XL_ENCLOSURE_INTAKE_OPTION = 8 Then

'Inlet_style = "SW_And_Intake_Louvers"

End If

Dantevw1
Advocate

Currently it is impossible to link text as a parameter with excel. As its nothing more than a simple string its very remarkable that this is not supported.

Implementing this should me a matter of minutes for the Autodesk dev team, and will be a great advantage for users that need it (like i did when writing this...)

Tags (6)
DuncanAnderson
Collaborator

The ability to link to Engineers Notes, custom iProperties and parameters of individual part/components when there are multiple components/parts in a drawing is much under developed.

Robot surprised

Dantevw1
Advocate

For revit i made a bunch of subscription tickets in the passed , and "It has been sent to the development team" is the most heared sentence from the subscription. Still very easy features to implement that has been suggested already 3 to 4 years ago, are still not in implemented.

I see the same things when i google for simple things for inventor.

So if i see "its much under developmend", dont mind me beeing sceptic.

As an add to this Idea:

Also support parameters in IDW sketches dimensions, as it is possible in assembly and part files. Currently you can not make a parameter for a dimension on a idw in a sketch.

(This is very usefull, and needed, when you have 1 part, with 50 viariations of it and you need to make 50 drawings for them, automating this process)

niksasa
Collaborator

Is not my idea of redundant? Here we consider that something like Export Text Parameter

Is it possible to unite as it points to the same topic?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [44240]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

The Product Support team has provided numerous work arounds for this here:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/07/emboss-text-in-an-ipart.html

However the suggested workarounds are a bit cumbersome & the proposed Idea would be much more user friendly.  🙂

Regards,

Dan

niksasa
Collaborator

Hi Dan. Thanks for the good news and a link to solution to the problem.

Similar ideas have been proposed

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Export-Text-Parameter/idi-p/3817276

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Text-User-Parameter/idi-p/3903847

Perhaps they also need to consider?

Sincerely, niksasa

iErdogan
Enthusiast

I tried to make like this once; but I couldn't;

I added parametric text from user parameters,  I couldn't; find parametric text in sketch user parameters section. there is only numeric parameters, no text parameters.

if is it possible, I want described above by Valued Mentor on ‎11-03-2013 10:23 AM Status: Accepted)

I'm sorry for my poor english...

iangoh
Participant

As title goes.

Some iPart Members have text on the part itself.

We want to make use of the text parameter to change the text on the part by keying into the parameter table.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

I agree this should be improved with direct support to the text parameters.

related link:

Work around :

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Work around :

DRoam
Mentor

I'm guessing that "under the hood" it's related to the same reason that text parameters can't be Linked parameters (i.e. exported to another Part or imported from an Excel file). You can vote for ideas related to those issues as well and hopefully get some additional attention on the text parameter issue:

Really, the Kudos for all of these ideas could be combined under a title to the effect of "Allow Text Parameters to be Linked and used in iPart Tables".

I'm guessing that under the hood the two issues are one and the same and have to do with text parameters for some reason not being treated like normal Parameters. Either way, hopefully Autodesk will address both issues soon.

DRoam
Mentor

Smiley Surprised @Curtis_Waguespack, how did you attach a Part file in your comment above? I didn't know that was possible...

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

how did you attach a Part file in your comment above? I didn't know that was possible...

Hi DRoam,

I attached it to another thread, and then just copy/pasted the link from that thread to my reply here.

In the past I've had the thought that I would add the attachment to a test posting  in order to get a link to use in the idea comments, but so far I've always been able to find an existing thread of the same / similar subject to reply to, so I just add it there, and link to it from here, and link the idea to the existing thread, etc.

I mention the test posting, just in case you can't find something related and need to create a link for an attachment.

btw, I agree that all of these ideas are the same / similar and could be combined. When I see duplicate / similar ideas, I just vote for them all. Smiley Wink

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report