Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
55 Kudos
Vlad.Makarov

Stop Implementing Half Baked Features

by Distinguished Contributor Vlad.Makarov on ‎11-16-2012 08:51 AM

Dear devs,

Do you take half a shower? Do you take out half the garbage?

When you go to a restaurant, do you expect your meal to be half cooked?

If the answers to the above questions are no, then why do you implement half working features?

Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-12-2012 07:30 AM

It might be helpful to list some specific "half baked" features you are having issues with.  This sounds less like a suggestion and more like a rant without more specific information.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-18-2012 08:24 AM

I'll give one:  A couple releases ago they added the ability to include the leading zero to the architectural units, i.e. 1'-1/2" can be displayed as 1'-0 1/2".

The parts lists formatting (Format Column) does not have the ability to include this leading zero.... Why not?

2012-12-18_1021.png

by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-04-2013 09:33 AM

I'll give another one that grips me...  A few releases back they introduced the ability to pattern features (in a ipt) in both directions about a midplane.  It only works in ipts. We still can't do that with assembly features,  assembled components or machined features in a weldment..... Very annoying to not have the consistency.

by Distinguished Contributor Vlad.Makarov ‎02-22-2013 06:23 AM - edited ‎02-22-2013 06:47 AM

Inventor 2012 they added part representations. Except when attempting to use them one would quickly discover they weren't working. Why? According to an Autodesk dev: "yeah it isn't fully hooked up".

Content center for years has had parts with oddball values.

The O-Ring design accelerator suffers from wacky values.

Autodesk job processor performance is abysmal.

The IPN environment was abandoned years ago regarding any sort of improvements.

Vault Pro 2012 does not send out emails when a comment is added to a change order.

Important functionality that exists & yet is not working.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎08-17-2013 04:41 PM

IAM... Browser Sort Tool.  Sometimes it sorts... sometimes if fails.  Reason being either invalid characters in the tree names or component patterns.  1. It should sort any name that is allowed in the tree. 2. Component patterns have been around for quite a while, you would think that it could handle those.

by Valued Contributor timdown73 on ‎04-16-2014 06:24 AM

Click the link below to see a perfect example of half baked!

I'm no Inventor hater but the selection tool is a mess as is.  The old left right arrows worked fine.  In fact the new drop down isn't a bad idea it just doen't work right but got put into a realeased version of Inventor!  No one tested this endless loop of clicking to get the dropdown out of the way?  And God forbid you drag wrong because then it will disappear and you'll have to reselect!  

Sorry had to vent a  bit!  At least it seems Adesk is goint ot fix it (I hope).

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Select-Other-drop-down-needs-moving-out-of-the-wa...

selection overlap.jpg

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube