Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Tap Depth

Standard Tap Depth

I would like to have Tapped Holes follow each Standard for the Tap Depth rather than relying upon user knowledge.

12 Comments
Rory_M
Advocate

I'd like this too, as long as the standard tap depth is an option that is:

a) Easily overridden and

b) User editable (maybe in the thread spreadsheet)

cmcconnell
Collaborator

Yes - I agree. I would like it to default to thd depth + 2*pitch

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i like the idea.

i would also like to see some of the user input boxes positioned better in the dialogue box... they do not seem to flow logically and are not all positioned relative to the dimension that they relate to.

karthur1
Mentor

Something I asked for years ago.  I would like to see the depth controlled by an excel sheet (like the Clearance.xls) so everyone can edit it to suite their own "standards".

maartenverbunt
Enthusiast

I would like to see this implemented too. This should not be a big alteration I think, and would provide more standardisation.

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US5183] [US9040 ]is under review by the development team.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US5183]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Enhancements have been made within the Modeling environments, when creating holes, to default to the thread and hole depth values specified within the updated thread.xls file. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
blandb
Mentor

By default to have the tap drill depth automatically set for blind tapped holes based on the thread size and thread depth. This value could be modified in the thread table excel file if needed to be changed for your companies standards. But would keep new employees or individuals that don't know better to make the tap drill depth too shallow. Would keep things consistant across the board. This would only apply if "Full Depth" is not checked incase that is needed.

Tags (2)
DRoam
Mentor

@blandb, this is a duplicate of another idea, which has been Implemented: Standard Tap Depth.

Unfortunately, it was implemented such that the hole depth and thread depth are changed automatically (and without notifying the user) if the tap diameter is changed, which is very likely to cause undetected design errors. You can vote for using the standard depth to be an option (rather than automatic) here: Thread hole standard depth defaults (currently 1 vote).

DRoam
Mentor

@Rory_M and anyone else who's interested, you can vote for this to be an option (rather than an automatic change) here: Thread hole standard depth defaults.

It's great that we have these standard depths at our disposal, but it's very dangerous (and annoying) that the hole depth and thread depth are changed automatically (and without notifying the user) when the tap diameter is changed. At best this is annoying because we have to change it back; at worst, it can result in a costly design error if we don't happen to notice that Inventor changed them. This should be a checkbox option (Use Standard Depths) rather than a silent, automatic change.

serens.michael
Observer

You can edit the table to change the hole depths to a standard your shop uses. I attached a picture of where you change. If anyone is still looking to be able to change this it isn't super clear in the default table I edited ours to make it clearer.

Tap Chart.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report