Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Body Sheet Metal Parts

Solid Body Sheet Metal Parts

I want to be able to do Solid Bodies in Sheet Metal ipt's.

19 Comments
matthewweake1
Advocate

So that you can modela complete sheetmetal part and then break it into bits? Like making a deep box with lid in a single part file, break the lid off, break the sides and base into 3 pieces so you can make it? Would need to be smart enough to fix all the broken edges. I like the sound of this and quite do-able.

MrJoshuaAU
Contributor
This is a must for me, Inventor is so far behind the competition in this area. I would call it sheet metal multi body. Currently most of the sheet metal parts we make are near impossible to model in inventor accurately and quickly. Being unable to make mitres between 2 separate sheet metal parts is a major pita.
maartenverbunt
Enthusiast

I agree, I've seen it work on Solid Works, an Inventor needs to make vast inprovements in their sheet-metal enviorment. Adding multi-body support would be a major leap forwards. Improving mittering corners in sheetmettal is a very close runner up.

alanrichardson
Advocate

As a user who uses the sheetmetal within inventor more than any other modelling I agree we should be in a position to use multi-body modelling inside of sheet metal.  The sooner the better!

CadlineSupport
Enthusiast

This is very important and we have dozens of customers who would benefit from the ability to design sheet metal assemblies in a part context before using 'make components' to send to sheet metal parts. Autodesk please consider this as a priority.

JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

This is a problem I ran into just yesterday.  I was making a part using multi body function, that in the end result was going to be unioned into a single body, but still the system refused to work it as sheet metal, and I really wanted to flatten it out.  Working from flat pattern to 3D is not a easy as working from 3D to flat pattern.

jvj

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US5315] is under review by the development team.
thyzsz
Contributor

What i like to ad to the sheet metal with multibody is an extra feature to made an extension to the first body and a slot in the other. Then the first one will snap/fit in the second one. Call it position helpers for welding or assembly purposes. Itt`s very usefull if we made sheet metal with laser/water/plasma cutters.

This must be fitted in one feature with an option for a clearence between the two body`s/plate`s.

Looks a bit similar to plastic part design wit a snap fit feature first, and a combine feature aftwerwards. But it should be one feature, combined with clearance option.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US5315]. Thanks!

MrJoshuaAU
Contributor

Wow this exciting, we may be moving forward with this particular problem.

Cheers Josh

rptandy
Contributor

YES! I work for a sheet metal job shop, and nothing gives me nightmares like this problem. Having to spend hours to make a mitred corner between two separate parts is ridiculous.

MegaJerk
Collaborator

This would be a wonderful idea if it's implemented well.

Having the ability to split your part up by way of intersecting planes / surfaces would be sublime.

I also wonder if they plan on implementing this in such a way that would allow for the individual flat patterns to be kept independent of one another while in the drawing. If that is the case, I wonder how they would be tracked / represented.

millejm85
Participant

+1 This is must and has created many times I needed to come up with work arounds.

In my sheetmetal workflow I primarily use a "sheetmetal" part template to have access to some of the features if needed as well as the "Thickness" parameter but will model using the "3D Model" tools using surface extrudes, revolves, sweeps and so on. This creates a master skeleton that sheet metal parts can be derived from and created using Filets at surface joints and Thickens. 

It would be a great addition for skeletal modeling to be able to use sheet metal tools to create multiple bodies that componenets would then be derived from.

xavlee
Community Visitor

Has there been any work on multi-body sheet metal???  The post started in 2013...

Or are there any 3rd parties or add ins?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2016. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it.  The multi-body part environment has been extended to include sheet metal parts. You can now use a top-down workflow to create multi-body sheet metal parts. In a multi-body SM part file, use the Make Components or Make Part command and then open the derived components to create flat patterns for each part.

Doug_DuPont
Collaborator

You can send me an Autodesk hat for that ideaSmiley Happy

DRoam
Mentor

Here's a related suggestion to be able to have the Flat Patterns for each solid in the master file, rather than having to Derive the bodies out first: Flat Pattern for Multi Body Sheet Metal Part.

montecarlo12
Community Visitor

I received a part that inventor opens as a solid body. Is there any way I can convert it so I can flat pattern it? It is a folded part. Thanks for any help

montecarlo12
Community Visitor

This is what the screen looks likeInventor part.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report