Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slot Feature Creation in modeling mode

Slot Feature Creation in modeling mode

Would like to have a slot creation tool similar to the hole command in the modeling mode. Although the slot sketch tool was a nice add on in 2014, we would rather have this function in the modeling mode instead.

Original title:  Slot Creation in modeling mode

47 Comments
smithar
Autodesk

I'd like to be able to create slots based upon hole table information that is already present.  The ability to create center point slots without using iFeatures would save me considerable time. 

Tags (3)
smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

smokes2998
Collaborator

can you do it  like SW using the sketch tool for slots it does it by the users drawing a line or a curve with two points then the user drags the cursor away from the line or curve and tool generates the slot.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2014. Enhancements were made to the sketching environment to accomidate the automatic creation of five different types of sketch slots. Please be sure to check it out. Thanks!
guido_66
Advocate

With the ability to easily constrain something to the center of the slot, and of course for ease use of the hole note in the drawing environment, and easy dimensioning to the center of the slot.

djovica30
Enthusiast

When I click on hole, i'd like to be able to be able to choose slots as a type. Currently it is only drilled, counterbore, spotface and countersink

Tags (2)
CrAzY-MiKe
Collaborator

Marvelous. I can now create and/or array a number of slots in a sketch, then use Extrude Cut to make the slots in my part.

I just can't use the Hole and Thread Annotation feature to call them out in my drawings.

Don't get me wrong; this is a step in the right direction. 

Next release, perhaps it can become a hole feature so we can capture properties like quantities of identical slots in a given part, as we can with the regular hole feature.  Smiley Frustrated

Kelly_Shuman
Advocate

Dear Autodesk,

I see a slot as being built into the hole command that is the result of selecting a line.  This is a good idea simply based on the principle of a feature based modeling workflow.  I would also like to select slot creation lines in HSM CAM.  Features correlate well to machining operations, whereas sketches do not inherently. 

Might as well throw in a threaded slot, too. 😉

stamon
Autodesk

This is a request from 2014 userr in japan called SHINKAWA.

There is a slotted hole sketch tool but SHINKAWA requested Slotted hole as a feature like a hole feature.

IODesign07
Enthusiast

Hello,

It would be nice if slots and holes were combined into one feature, such that slots were simply one more option in addition to simple hole, clearance hole, tapped hole, and tapered hole. I've run into many situations where a design is done with holes, and then later changed to slots at the last minute. Should be simple, right? It would be great if you could simply toggle between the two using only the hole feature. Likewise, it would be great if a slot annotation could be incorporated into the hole/thread note, exactly as though it were a simple hole.

Thank you,

Laurie

Tags (1)
DRoam
Mentor

Agreed. This is long overdue.

michael_marx
Advocate
ghobbs99
Advocate

Dear Autodesk, why hasn't this idea been implemented??? It's a great idea and should be included in the package. I bet competing packages have this feature. Years go by without great suggestions like these being built in. I like Inventor. I think it's good. It could be so much better ...

sebastien.forman
Advocate

+1 I need to change hole in slot many time by week. This feature must be include in hole menu, for reverse facility.

Juste having the same axe, in two situation, for don't break the constraint.

slot.png

shawn.payne
Advocate

I would like to create a slot from the hole command. If a sketch is created with a point in it and then select the hole command. It would recognize the point as the center of the slot and allow a slot to be created and not just a hole.

Tags (2)
mmiller
Contributor

Shawn, see this thread:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/slot-feature-creation-in-modeling-mode/idi-p/4601899

This idea is a great one! This older post from 2013 is gaining a lot of kudos and it'll be better to vote up the idea in one spot rather than spread out votes among many ideas.

Thanks!

michael_marx
Advocate
shawn.payne
Advocate

mmiller, I voted on that post a long time ago. It is not better to like a post that is forgotten. This new post might light a spark.

Michael.marx, That is not a similar idea.

SharkDesign
Mentor

Here's my attempt:

Slot hole.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report