Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketches should always be visible through objects when selected.

Sketches should always be visible through objects when selected.

Sketches should always be visible through objects when the sketch is selected or being created/edited. No exceptions!

There is no reason in 2015 that Autodesk should not have this issue resolved. When other software the user does not have to deal with having to section models or turn on wireframe mode in order to see what they are sketching.

Please fix this long over-due enhancement.

Inventor has some significant features that are an advantage...but it has even more ridiculous quirks that make it extremely cumbersome and slow.

Take a page from Solidworks and emulate it!

20 Comments
_DanSolo_
Advocate

Inventor Sketching.jpg

_DanSolo_
Advocate

SolidWorks Sketching.jpg

_DanSolo_
Advocate

So how many "Kudos" does one need before the idea goes into review?? Smiley Indifferent

asiu
Advocate

Well, I like to have the visibility of sketches in 3D but not in drawing views. This is a good idea.

The problem with Solidworks was that the sketches will "bleed" thru the solids in drawing views, even in full shaded mode. Not sure if they fixed that lately...

So Autodesk developers, please make sure that by adding this you will not destroy something at the drawing level.

_DanSolo_
Advocate

Sketches should be able to worked on without obstruction by existing model geometry. You should also be able to reference off of existing model geometry without having to manualy project said geometry.

SolidWorks sketch0.png

SolidWorks sketch1.png

SolidWorks sketch2.png

SolidWorks sketch4.png

DRidgeway
Contributor

A million times this. This was the very first thing I noticed that I couldn't believe was the case. Slice graphics is okay when modifying a single part, but if you do in context assemblies or need to reference assembly geometry... this is very difficult to work around and counter intuitive.

smokes2998
Collaborator

I really miss this feature in SW I am have to constantly rmb find browser go to highlighted feature then left click edit sketch. I am geting RSI from doing this all the time.

matthew.clements
Community Visitor

I've recently moved from SolidWorks to Inventor and still can't believe this is the case, even in 2017. It's not a 'feature', surely this should be standard, it's a pain having to slice through an object to see a sketch, it should be visible at all times in my opinion.

soctavio
Advocate

I would give this idea many votes and kudos if possible.

Who would want it any other way????

david
Observer

Our company is trying to make the move from Solidworks to Inventor, and this is one of my pet peeves. We build a lot of top down models, with a lot of references, and you should not have to slice or turn models transparent to see what your working on. And please, oh please, let us reference cut sheetmetal geometry in a sketch, and have it update with the cut part. Good god, I've done this for years in SW...

_DanSolo_
Advocate

Surprised this functionality has still not been adopted.

petestrycharske
Advisor

_DanSolo_

I came across this post on another thread and have a question for you (since I haven't worked in SW since like 2002).  Is there ever a problem with having multiple sketches with this SW functionality?  One of the things I like about the sketch visibility is that I can turn them on and off in Inventor, especially for busier top-down part models.  How do you get a sketch to pop up, do you have to select it in the feature tree somehow?  I'm genuinely curious how it works because it seems to me if there were a few sketches that could be viewed in a particular orientation, things could get a little bit messy.  (I could be way off though, which is why I'm asking :>)

I would be happy if there was an option to not AutoConsume the sketches under the features.  I would rather just have a visibility toggle.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

_DanSolo_
Advocate
Hi Pete,

The active sketch you are working on is visible through all geometry as long as it is selected or being edited.

You can also choose to make visible other sketches at the same time if you want, these can even be used as reference sketches, simply by selecting them to be visible or invisible.
petestrycharske
Advisor

Thanks for clarifying!  Makes sense to me and you've got my vote!  Have an awesome and most blessed day!

_DanSolo_
Advocate
Thanks Pete, you too.[😊]
_DanSolo_
Advocate
Thanks Pete, you too.[😊]
DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski, wasn't this implemented in Inventor 2017 via the "Opacity of sketch displayed through shaded model" setting?

_DanSolo_
Advocate
Why should you have to even think of adjusting the "Opacity of sketch".

When you are working on the sketch it should just appear through all geometry.

If you want if visible later that's up to you. But when its selected or being worked on it should be visible automatically...this is basic stuff really.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017 via an added application option control.  Access the Application Options > Sketch tab > Sketch Display settings and adjust the "Opacity of sketch displayed through shaded model" to a custom desired method. Likewise the legacy slice graphics (F7 shortcut key) can continue to be leveraged.  Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

_DanSolo_
Advocate

thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report