Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Mode, First Dimension

Sketch Mode, First Dimension

I noticed that when you make a brand new part, and set your first dimension on a particular object, it will scale the object to the dimension you specify.

Forn instance, if you make a random circle on the sketch plane, and it ends up being about 1/2"... but you want that circle to be 30'... you put a dimension on the circle, and it blows up that circle way out of view, which you have to zoom way out to get to it.

well how about instead of increasing the size of the circle, the scale of the view you are looking at increases instead.

Of course, this would only be possible as the first dimension of the part.

This would actually help alleviate some other annoyances:

small.jpg shows a rectangle just created, and a dimension on it that was created on just the fact that i made the rectangle willy nilly.

There enough spacing between the dimension and the line it's dimensioning that it's not cluttered.

but large.jpg shows that when I change that dimension (the first of the sketch), it blows the recangle way up, and clutters the dimension with the line.

Another solution would be to offset the dimension to a standard distance when scaling objects that were changed by dimensions.

Thanks

Greg

4 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

If you make a small ilogic rule and set it to run when a parameter is changed it will do this.

Just put this in your template file works great. And if you change it back to a small 1/2" hole it will zoom back in.

'zoom all
ThisApplication.ActiveView.Fit

goesta.rix
Observer

I'm happy to find this. To me this is a standard feature that should be available through the menu...

Thanks for posting a solution!

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report