Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
9 Kudos
dan.szymanski

Single Line Etch feature

by Employee on ‎11-02-2012 06:48 AM

I need the ability to create single stroke, path text engravings - to "laser" etch part number or stock info onto models.

Comments
by Contributor jhunt107 on ‎11-02-2012 08:14 AM

What prevents you from doing this now?

1. Sketch
  2. Text
  3. Emboss or Extrude

If you're running into the issue I'm thinking of, would it be solved by a specific FONT that blends each character together like cursive writing?

Josh

by Employee on ‎11-02-2012 10:01 AM

Josh,

As it was communicated to me, our current emboss & extrude text solutions create undesirable thickness.  For example, a lower case "l" will create four line segments when removing the material from the part or solid.  A single line etch would essentially mimic the result of dragging a nail tip across a surface or in the customers case (who escalated this request) a fine point laser burn on a sheet metal part.

I hope this clarifies the request a bit.

by Contributor jhunt107 on ‎11-02-2012 02:51 PM

Dan, I see the problem now. Seems that some of the AutoCAD Fonts like SIMPLEX are needed in Inventor.

by Valued Contributor michael.marx on ‎02-06-2013 06:01 AM

go to acad write your text with ISOCP explode your text with express tools copy paste to inventor sketch! that´s it. I always use this workaround for engraving with CNC machines

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube