Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Multiple Machined Participants

Adding Multiple Machined Participants

Within the Machining feature of a Weldment, it would be nice if I was able to add multiple Participants at once using Ctrl key rather than having to continuously right-click the feature and add each member in one at a time.

Capture.PNG

13 Comments
jhunt107
Enthusiast

Select parts to be Participates during initial Assembly Feature creation.

When you create an assembly level feature, the default behavior is to cut every part that the cut feature would touch. The first problem is that this takes a long time to process when there are a lot of parts. Secondly, the user must go back to the feature and hunt and peck through the participants list to remove what the user didn't want in the first place.

jletcher
Advisor

Not true. when you do this isolate the parts you want to have in your feature then suppress the parts that are grayed out in the browser then add your feature then unsuppress and remove isolate.

jhunt107
Enthusiast

That is a very tedious (and unintuitive) workaround. I was thinking about something similar to Select Solids in multi-body part modeling.

jletcher
Advisor

Wow

How long have you used inventor?

jhunt107
Enthusiast

I've been using Inventor as a Application Consultant for 7 years. 

bjorn.verheijden
Contributor

When adding 1st time a maching function to a welded assembly, the function adds itself all parts it intersects.

When later parts are replaced or added in the assembly, the new parts are not automatically included.

It is possible to add these to the machining actions, but only one by one. (select "add participant, select part, repeat X times, annoying)

It would be nice if it is possible to add multiple parts in one go. (add participantS, CTRL select parts, ready 🙂 )

Tags (5)
toddphilips10-73
Explorer

Thanks for the feedback!

In this application, which is a frequent task in our department, we are making revisions to existing weldments. Whether it be a design change or a new copy design version of the equipment. Often times I don't need to add a new hole feature just need to edit an existing sketch and add points for my new holes. When dealing with the high volume of models/drawings we work through daily, this quickly becomes a tedious task.

I believe a simple solution to the task could be similar to using the Tweak Components command in an .ipn . Hold the Ctrl key while selecting each part/member as well as deselecting them.

swalton
Mentor

This should apply to features in normal assemblies as well as weldment assemblies.

gregory_nickol
Advocate

I'd like to point out that currently the opposite is already possible: You can REMOVE any number of participants at once without having to click remove each time. To do that, under then feature in question you select all the pieces you want want removed, right click, and select remove participant. 

Obviously the parts that are not participants aren't there and can't be right clicked to add participant, but maybe it could be changed so that right clicking a feature and clicking "Add Participant" would add your most recent selection group.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Many thanks for posting the idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-67127]

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager

A solution for this Idea is now available for test in the Inventor Feedback/Beta Community. If you would like to try it then you can apply for access using http://Autode.sk/InventorBeta.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2024.1. Please review the Inventor 2024.1 What's New article here. For more information regarding how you may leverage the feature, and please review this page. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report