Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select Multiple Non-Contiguous Sketch Profiles for Surface Extrusion

Select Multiple Non-Contiguous Sketch Profiles for Surface Extrusion

When extruding with a surface output, it is only possible to select multiple sketch figures if they are adjacent and coincident to one another (in the same loop). I propose the ability to select multiple non-contiguous, or non-looped sketch figures in a single extrude feature. 

With a solid output and closed profiles it is already possible to select multiple profiles for a single extrusion. Can this enhancement be extended to include surface output as well? See the below screenshot for clarification.

Surface Extrude.PNG

6 Comments
dmytty
Enthusiast

Nate @ Autodesk Tech Support ...

Thanks for the documentation of our discussion.

niksasa
Collaborator

Options to apply it would be quite enough. How to deal with solids? You have it all one solid body?

dvsmiller9
Advocate

A window select would be helpful as well.  We lasermark our parts and must currently enclose our profiles to extrude since we can only view model sketches in views that are perpendicular to the sketch plane and not projected views.  If we were able to multi-select open line profiles we could create our model faster and more representative of the physical parts.

Lasermark.png

DRoam
Mentor

After this is done, should they all be part of the same quilt/surface body, or each a separate quilt/surface body?

Also, see a related Idea here: Extrude surface, without "automatic edge chain".

rok.herman
Explorer

I think they should be all separate quilt/surface bodies. And window select would be really helpful.

haralds.jekabsons
Participant

I think it is shame to Autodesk that Inventor still have not solved this.

There is a good idea which would help many users, but it is not solved for 5 years.

Previously mainly I have used Solidworks now I am with Inventor. 

I see some Inventor usage advantages, but this is really time consuming for users.

For one operation in Solidworks today I have 10-th or more in Inventor.

I believe that that issue cause potential errors in users work.

I would like extend the problem too. The same problem we have for surface revolve too.

For surface revolve too Inventor need to have possibility to select multiple non-contiguous sketch Profiles for revolve.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report