Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reorder Balloons by value.

Reorder Balloons by value.

Back in the MDT days you could rearrange Balloons by their value.

Much like you can with the parts list.

Unless I am missing something the balloons are stuck in the order that you pick them.

IV-IDEA.jpg

19 Comments
exSWX
Advocate

EXCELLENT idea!

swalton
Mentor

I would like this sort option for the displayed balloons to update whenever I renumber my parts list. 

erazorzedge
Advocate

Genius.

timdown73
Collaborator

You can do it but it not an easy task.  You have to right click on the ballon and click "attach balloon from list" and add them all in the order that you want one by one. Then you have to delete the ones you don't want (the ones that are out of order or the original one) one at a time.  Cumbersome and unintuitive.

tahdesign1
Collaborator

I have done that method and others in the past to have them arrange themselves properly.

However, we should not have to do any of that since it is basically a sorting operation.

It was very simple in the MDT days where all you had to do was RMB on the balloon set and sort them much like the part list will do.

I also like swalton's post that says it should react to a renumbering in the parts list. That way if you have configured the balloon set to sort by the number it will react to those numbers changing. This would be a great option to have in very large and busy drawings so you do not have to seek out the balloon sets to change them.

lesmfunk
Collaborator

Good idea. I'd also like to reorder AND RENUMBER the balloons in the order I pick them without using the keyboard. Then have the parts list sort according to the balloon numbers. This helps the user find the part in the drawing view faster than having random balloon numbering in the view.

Kinda backwards to swalton's idea. Here we don't really care what order the parts are listed in the BOM as long as the item numbers are in order. But yes, one should drive the other. So, I would like the option for the ballooned view to drive the parts list as well.

NXTdim by Cadac has an addin to do this, but looks like balloons might have to be aligned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOUuprE8cek

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-119425]. Thanks!

DRoam
Mentor

FYI, according to this article, this functionality has been added in R2 of Inventor 2017 (along with several other really great improvements). You can get the functionality now if you're a Subscription customer by installing the R2 update.

tahdesign1
Collaborator

That is great that they have included this functionality now.

We had this back in the MDT days and have miss it since IV came out.

I do have one question that I hope an ADSKer will pick up on the brief instructions in the link you provided.

They state:

First, attach balloons using the Attach Balloon From List context menu option

I rarely attached my stacked balloons that way. I typically place the first balloon and then RMB on it to select Attach Balloon from the pop up menu so that I can physically select the parts. Using the Attach Balloon from List option is the long way about doing this and I only do that if I can not see the part I am trying to add.

I assume that this sort balloons option will be available in the selected pop up menu regardless of how the stacked balloons were formed.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @tahdesign1, that's a good question. I have R2 of Inventor 2017 installed and I just checked, and I can confirm that the answer is yes. You can use either RMB-->"Attach Balloon from List...", OR RMB-->"Attach Balloon" followed by clicking your part to attach your balloons, and the Sort functionality will work either way.

Not sure if it's always been this way, but you have to RMB-->"Attach Ballon" one at a time for each part you want to add, which is a little annoying. It would be nice if the command stayed active and let you pick all the parts you wanted.

Also, it looks like the "Sort" doesn't persist if you add more balloons or if balloon values change--you have to re-sort manually if either of these happens. It would be nice if there were an option to "Auto-sort on Update" like we have for sorting in the Parts List.

tahdesign1
Collaborator

I agree it would be nice to be able to activate the selection process and it persist until I was done.

Also for the sorting to be auto if that is what you want after the first sorting is done.

Or to have an app application option that makes gathered balloons auto sort by default.

Baby steps........

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017R2. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it

bluelybell
Explorer

I have just recently found the sort balloons option, which made very happy until i discovered that it will "as far as i can tell" only sort in one direction, which is fine for any balloon sets that go to the right, but if you have a set of balloons out to the left of view and try to sort the balloons, they go in reverse order, so highest to lowest, which means i then need to redo the balloon set manually, one balloon at a time.

Is this intentional? because i need them to go low to high whichever side they are on.

jeanie.wayker
Alumni

See here for more info:
Edit Balloons
What's New 2017 R2

tmoxam
Explorer

in any case balloons are read from left to right or top to bottom.

i would like to sort the balloons and have them read left to right whether my leader is leaning right or left when horizontal. 

In a vertical situation the lowest value would be attached to the leader.

it would seem that if there is currently a "sort" button, that there could be a "re-sort" button which would just change the direction. simple.

tmoxam
Explorer

Also, we use alpha characters in the balloons for fasteners etc.

parts are numbered F1, F2, etc. 

it would be nice if the sort recognized and sorted alpha characters too.

ksingh
Community Visitor

Hi guys. Anyway to use this function in iLogic/API?

We've got old drawings with lots of multi-balloons and I dont wanna do each manually

MjDeck
Autodesk

@ksingh, it's not available in the API (or iLogic) at this time.

If anybody else on this thread would like to see it in the API, please feel free to weigh in.

YuhanZhang
Autodesk

@ksingh Can you log a new wish to API/iLogic idea station? This one was logged for Inventor UI to support it, and marked as IMPLEMENTED, so we are not clear how many users will vote for the API function. You can add a link here for the API wish so users who in this thread can find it easily and vote it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report