Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ray trace image output

Ray trace image output

Since Inventor has real-time ray tracing and Inventor Studio is of little use, I suggest the following...

• Interactive - When ray tracing starts, I immediately change to Good because the Interactive lighting is so different from what you see in Good or Best, it seems of little value to me. I work in Shaded view mode until I'm ready to produce a "pretty picture".
  • Good - I use this to get a sense of what the ray tracing might look like. The time cost is proportional to the purpose for which I use it.
  • Best - One suggestion mentioned in another thread is rendering to a file instead of to the screen. Interesting option, if you pursue that, have the output go to the filename with a number suffix.
  • Best - When I take the time to render a Best solution, it is for one purpose only - OUTPUT A PRETTY PICTURE. It is really annoying to have to wait AGAIN to go through "Generating offscreen image". This seems costly in time and redundant, the real time render just completed. How about an option to save the screen image output at the same time. Then I pay the render price only once.
  • Default Settings - While I "get" that the output image size isn't specified until Save Copy As, it seems to me these are settings that people use infrequently and could be application options. I usually decide on a pixel resolution (e.g. 2400 x 1600, or whatever) for a project and stick with it.
  • Default Settings - It would be nice to have a DPI/PPI value - start at 96 ppi - screen resolution and go up from there. Set that information for a project/session once and get on with it. If deemed necessary, the Save Copy As > Options dialog box can have the default values editable so they can be overridden.
3 Comments
Bill.Bogan
Advocate
I've come across another issue with Save Copy As... in relation to creating IMAGES for marketing use. The issue is not being able to Save Copy As in a PosRep state other than MASTER. This is a broken workflow IMHO. Here's why... 1. Open assembly. 2. Select a PosRep other than Master. 3. Set your real time RT values. 4. Wait for RT to give you a nice picture. 5. Use Save Copy As (I am forced to do this because that is where the image file types are located) to output the image. 6. DANG!! I can't save an image because I'm in a PosRep. The MASTER pos rep isn't the "market-desirable" image. Besides, I shouldn't be forced to a specific PosRep just to save an image!!! I have images showing the steps if you can't get it from the above. This workflow really is broken!!
bentbrandt
Enthusiast

It's still broken in 2016

if you do anything it starts over, and when are we going to save the image?

😞

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Hi Bill

Good suggestions, any way. Inventor support to save ray tracing result as image in Inventor 2016, please refer to below online help document. 

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-6F2829E7-5D6F-4B29-961D-0BA8E7396490

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community.

Regards,

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report