Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Undo" Should be per Active File

"Undo" Should be per Active File

I'm working with several files opened at same time. Parts, Assembly and Drawing Layouts.

What I did;

1- On drawing page I added some general dimensions (or whatever)

2- Change active file, the part for the drawing I am currently working on.

3- Modify length of the part.

4- Come back to drawing page, making it active.

5- While drawing is active, if I hit undo now, it will revert modification done in previous file that is still open but not active.

I think it would be better if undo was limited to current active file, or undo memory split between active files. As it is right now, I may undo stuff from parts and assemblies while only seeing under my eyes a drawing layout on my screen.

I think this is problematic especially since by default Inventor has the undo command in every possible marking menu context. Undo is really easy to miss click when using allot of marking menu and since it can undo stuff in another inactive file, chances are I won't even realise that I "undid" anything at all.

16 Comments
stuartmp
Advocate

I completely agree, "Undo" Should be per Active File

Its a real pain to work out how to undo something if you have may files open and have made changes on some of them, then all of a sudden

you realise that's not going to work, so you want to undo that part only meanwhile you have made other changes to other parts which you want to keep.

Then you have to save the files you want to keep, making sure you don't accidentally save the file you wish to undo.

Then you need to close all files and re-open your model to see if the part you want to revert back because you can't "Undo" per active file

is not saved and if it is you need to then restore from previous versions etc.

Great Idea.

mwighton
Collaborator

It would be nice if the undo button undid only the changes made to the currently viewed document rather than the program as a whole.

NeilClasby75
Advocate

Hi

I know where you're coming from here, and don't disagree, but I actually find it pretty handy when if undoes every document step.

Maybe two undo options to cover both?

Regards, Neil.

DRoam
Mentor

I agree with Neil. Sometimes I do want to undo just a single document, but sometimes I want to undo changes that occurred across multiple documents. Not sure if it's practical, but the option for either would be nice.

asiu
Advocate

Can I vote 100 times? Smiley Happy

DRoam
Mentor

Looks like this is a duplicate of this idea: "Undo" Should be per Active File

The other is the original and has a more descriptive title--but this one currently has more votes.

QuasiMojo
Advocate

This was painful back in '08, and before. It's still painful today.

Genicee
Advocate

I think this could be done. It would be nice to have a toggle between the current undo structure and the new way as suggested per active document.

Quickcola
Enthusiast

What is very sad, is that I posted this in 2014...

Still getting likes for it... so probleme isn't yet fixed...

patruc
Observer

How many votes does it take to get Inventor to do what it should have done from the beginning? Do the right thing: just make the change Inventor.

Meanwhile, Inventor sits on billions of dollars in profit, but they can't afford to hire some decent software engineers?

I wish "undo" could apply to the decision to purchase Inventor's amateurish software.

phlyx
Collaborator

Was just about to post this same thing to UNDO this silliness.  Was working in two different top level machine assemblies and had deleted a part out of each, then in one of them inserted the new part, set all the constraints, manipulated some other part locations, altered some guarding and some other needed tasks.  Switched to the other top level machine and realized I had deleted the wrong part (isn't that what UNDO is for?).  Couldn't remember the part number of what I deleted so I hit UNDO and it started UNDOing all the work I did in the other top level.  

Autodesk, PUH-lease fix this as UNDO should not involve switching documents.  😡   

COME ON PEOPLE, VOTE (as many times as you can, this is America).

chenj
Advisor

When I edit more than two documents at the same time and need to undo the operation in Part1, I need to undo the operation in part2 first, which is very inconvenient. What I need is that each document can be undo and redo separately.

chenj_0-1640573005740.png

K.TRYFONIDIS
Advocate

Same problem here. Had been working on two parts simultaneously and in two screens, did a mistake at one couldn't undo file specific changes. Upvoting.

OK_BOOMER
Participant

I was just staggered when I first encountered that Undo is global, not local to the active file being edited. This is downright irresponsible.

EdvinTailwind
Collaborator

YES! This is one of the most annoying things in Inventor. Please make the action history separate for each file. I seriously can't think of any other software, major or independent, that has this kind of configuration. It's like writing text on two different papers, and when you start erasing a typo on paper A it removes the last written word on paper B. 

Genicee
Advocate

EDIT: DELETE

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report