Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
49 Kudos
Orest_iy

Possibility to change dimension attachment in sketch

by Distinguished Contributor Orest_iy on ‎11-26-2013 08:37 AM

For example paremeters of a part are linked to other depended parts.

There must be changes done affecting the named parameter, and this parameter is already linked to depended parts.

For example parameter WIDTH must be changed to the left edge of the sketch.

Now user must delete it and create the new dimension and then rebuild the link in each depended part to new parameter.

Edit Dim.jpg

Comments
by *Pro on ‎11-26-2013 11:52 AM

Now user must delete it and create the new dimension and then rebuild the link in each depended part to new parameter.

Not really you just have to name the new dimension the same. So far it has worked for me.

If I have to delete a named dim I copy and paste to note pad.

But I will give kudos because that gets old, copy delete place paste etc..

And if you know me I HATE CLICKS lol.....

:smileyvery-happy:

by kevinb on ‎11-26-2013 12:09 PM

Huh?  I thought you could edit by just retyping "WIDTH=XXXX"?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

by *Pro on ‎11-27-2013 04:41 AM

Oh one thing I forgot make sure you re-export the dimension before you save..

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-27-2013 05:54 AM

There is already an idea like this posted.  If you voted for this one and not the original, please cast a kudo at the other as well so we're not splitting up the votes.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Ability-to-redefine-dimensions/idi-p/4303586

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-07-2013 12:51 PM
by Contributor dkatz on ‎12-10-2013 08:13 AM

Here's how I have dealt with this issue: Make a fully constrained point and dimension to it instead of the line. Then, you can delete lines/add lines/etc at will. Your point never goes away, nor does your dimension. You'll just need to fix the constraints again. I've found this to be similar to the idea in sketching of using work planes as references, as opposed to projected geometries.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube