Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Position Representations in Weldments

Position Representations in Weldments

I would really love to be able to use Position Representations with weldments.  I'm sure that it's disabled based on the idea that when you weld something, it shouldn't be able to move anymore ... but there's plenty of things that, perhaps, should still be able to move.

Think, for instance, about a door.  It may be welded to the hinge, and the hinge may be welded to the frame.  In a drawing you may wish to show a view of the door both in an opened and a closed state, but the way that it's set up now you pretty much have to set up a series of LOD's or something to work around it, or you can make a weldment with one half of the hinge and the door, then another with the second half of the hinge and the frame, and then make a third assembly incorporating the two subassemblies. 

The first approach - using LOD's - is complicated and annoying, and causes issues with changing the design later because you'll have to close the drawing to edit the part, and vice versa.  (Can't edit one LOD while another is open!)  The second approach does not lend itself well to doing drawings with parts lists, since the natural way of looking at things would be Door x 1, hinge x 1, frame x 1, and this would force you to have Subassembly 1 & subassembly 2, each with half of the hinge.

So, yeah, please just enable Pos Reps in weldments.  Put a warning on there if you want about messing up your welds, but please just let me have Pos Reps in weldments.

3 Comments
tony
Participant

Fully agree with you on this. I would also like to see weldments able to be set as Flexible in an assembly for the same reasons outlined above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm all about this as well.  Seems silly that I can't have a weldment that is flexible.

I have a transport hitch that gets welded to a lug, and thus swivels, but I can't have a view position or have the weldment be flexible (to actually swivel) in upper assemblies.  I can't make this into sub-weldments because the plates and link pins have to be welded...

Autodesk, we need to be able to have positions/flexibility of weldments.   Please.

WELD POSITIONS.jpg

mikeh2
Collaborator

Totally agree - just a couple of side notes.  You can leave the weldment so it's not fully constrained.  Then the next level up you can flip it to flexible.  You just can't have a Pos Rep that has a fully constrained sub assy along with a Flexible Pos Rep. 

Another side note is you can create the welds.  Then you can create a POS REP and I'm pretty sure you can utilize the POS REPs up the BOM Struture.  But there is a very big negative to that.  If you need to get back into the weld environment to add or edit a weld you must delete the POS REPs 1st and thus you lose anything associated with the reps up the BOM structure.  So next levels up will lose the POS REP and any IDWs referencing those POS REPS will be broke too.

This is with 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report