Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Monitor Support for Inventor 2016

Dual Monitor Support for Inventor 2016

Hi Guys,

I have been looking in to this topic a lot and compared it to other CAD packages. A lot of people now days use dual monitors for Inventor, but it still isn't as efficient as it could be.

There are two ways of doing it on Inventor that I am aware of, the one would be stretching over both screens, which I hate because then your ribbon and tools are only on one screen and it takes a lot of time going back and forth just to use the commands. Besides that your browsing history is also only on one screen. Another reason is also when you have two different screens sizes it doesn't always work out so well.

The second would be opening Inventor twice and having one open on both screens, which I prefer, but this also doesn’t really work out so well, because if you are working (standalone version or vault), you can't work on the same project on both Inventors and save files. Another reason why this doesn’t work so well is that all of the pop-up windows, such as constraints, hole tool, measuring etc. keeps opening on the last screen that it was opened. You will know what I mean if you try it out. One of the biggest problems with this solution is that it kills your RAM even though your pc is top of the range.

If you take a look at the link below this is what I had in mind for the layout of the screen:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/dual-monitor-setup/m-p/5427161#M529867

I also think you would need some kind of setup screen inside Inventor (Either an add-on or part of Inventor General Settings), where you can choose which screen opens Assemblies, Parts and Drawings.

I really hope to see this in the new release this year and I am sure everyone using dual monitors feels the same way. Please vote for this Idea if you agree!!

65 Comments
FritscheCAD
Contributor

So I work with 3 monitors at work, currently the large 30" is for Inventor and the 27" monitors are for Vault and Photoshop, but what would be great is to have IV be able to truely work iwth dual or dual+ monitors so we could have a drawing view open along side a part/assembly file, please make this possible!

dgorsman
Consultant
mswhipple
Explorer
Actually I see that as a different idea. That idea is about how to dock things. This idea is about having one copy of inventor open but being able to open up multiple files/windows and putting them on different screes so you can work on them and compare them. Currently in order to do this I have 2 or 3 versions of inventor open(one for each screen.) This can lead to conflict issues and if the files are connected you can not save in one open session and have it affect the other. Like it does when you have one session and multiply windows. I understand you can stretch inventor across the monitors but it makes it rather difficult to work with it.
Gene.R
Advocate

JDI - Model on one screen, Drawing on the other

swalton
Mentor

I would like this to support using files from the Old Versions directory or historical versions from Vault.  That way I can see the differences between files.

lkrenzler
Collaborator

It is long past due.  We've had dual monitors for what, about 10 years now?  Still stuck on a single screen.  At the very least, could we have an option to leave requestors (such as the Bill of Materials editor, constraint editor etc.) open on the second monitor so we don't have to keep opening them?  Take a look at your own software, Softimage if you want to know how to do that right.

Arnold82
Advocate

I would also like more functionality on dual monitors.

Atleast in the very basic, being able to drag a document outside the Inventor Application window would be handy for quick comparisons.

bofeldtj
Contributor

The current problem with dual support is that it is inconsistant. If you move the Inventor window to the secondary monitor the pop-ups/dialogs randomly appear on different windows. This kind of issue was solved 20 years ago on the Mac, Autodesk its time to catch up.

swc132994
Participant

Agreed , even Solidworks has better support for dual monitors with being able to send a windows to the left or right monitor, the command bar is stretched through in Solidworks.

Still though it is annoying to resize the window of every file I open as they open across both monitors.

Darren.Ash
Community Visitor

If you used Intergraph PDS (based on MicroStation) 15+ years ago on their Unix workstation you had multimonitor support.  With MicroStation you have always had the capability to open multiple windows (not multiple applications) into the same file/design project and set each to a different view of the 3D model.  Never have been a fan of the single window with multiple views.  You were able to place them on any monitor and they stayed updated.  In fact you could start a 3D pipe routing in one window and finish in a different one (same with general 3D MicroStation).  Also seem to remember being able to open multiple instances of the tool bars to arrange on the different monitors.  The pocket menus (right mouse click menu) were easy to create an edit also.

Bently also has a much better file save system.  Never remember loosing any work on that.  When the application did crash, it somehow had everything up to the last item I was working on when I reopend the file.

Darren

ma204
Contributor

it is really bad that invintor does not have dual monitor setting. dual monitor setting is effecient in working with multi windows and cool working mehtod.

francis.verbeeck
Advocate

I work also with Microstaton and dual screens is a bless.

You can open the layer tool box an let it there so is is availleble all times.

in autodesk you have to open and close them every time you want to do sommething.

now that I have 4K monitors there is no way to adjust the sise of the tool bars.

Is is quantum physics to sort this out?

iUser
Advocate

@francis.verbeeck "Is is quantum physics to sort this out?" It seems so, another update (Inventor 2016) has been released and still no luck. I have spoken to so many people since I have posted this Idea, and they all seem to have the same issue, a few even mentioned that their company bought other software just because Inventor doesn't support dual monitors. I would even be happy with an addin / exchange app that would allow this...

I came accross another post of mine in 2013 where I originally started looking for a solution, up to date still no feedback from Autodesk.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/multiple-screens/m-p/4377963#M480500

louis135
Participant

I've seen a few people post this in the past but i think it should get a little nudge. surely all of us using this type of software needed dual screens at some point, i think it should be something to really consider. 

If anyone has found a way though, im all ears!

Tags (2)
dgorsman
Consultant

You're a little light on details.  Found a way to... what, exactly?

SavesOften
Enthusiast

Do you mean having one session of Inventor maximized across two monitors?

JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

I use Inventor with dual display all the time, I can put the browser on the second screen, or stretch inventor across both screens, all kinds of options here.  So the question here is, exactly what are you looking for specifically.

louis135
Participant

sorry for the very long late reply people. i see about the stretching over maximising on both screens but is that any good? im thinking of getting a monitor and i would like a seperate window on another screen so i can adjust single parts independantly from an assembly with its own function icons. i tried duet display for my Computer and Ipad mini but that crashes inventor so its a bit of a dudder.

JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

Is your second display part of a video card such as NVidia or AMD, or is it run by Intel graphics?  I know (personally) that intel graphics drivers (for on board chip graphics) will crash Inventor when in hardware mode.  And if by some chance your machine uses this driver on either monitor or device, it could be the real problem.

DRoam
Mentor

Inventor works like any other program when it comes to moving and re-sizing between multiple displays. What Inventor doesn't do is allow you to have multiple windows open, and based on your explanation this is what you're actually asking for--multiple windows, not displays.

Fortunately, there is an existing suggestion for this which you can give support to here: IdeaStation Suggestion: Multiple Windows per Session

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report