Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFeatures in the Assembly Mode

IFeatures in the Assembly Mode

I would like to put IFeatures in the Assembly Mode.

13 Comments
hoser_71
Advocate

I would like to associate an ifeature with a part, so when the part is placed in an assembly it will apply the iFeature into selected parts.

For example, if I place a bolt into an assembly, I want an iFeature to place the hole into the matching plate.  Or if I have a 6 hole pattern in a part, when I place the part into an assembly it places the matching threaded pattern into another part in the assembly. 

Tags (2)
karthur1
Mentor

I would like to see iFeatures in the Machining environment.  Since this is a "special" assembly case, I would like to see it here.  My situation is that we have ifeatures for a special hydraulic port that we use.  I cant place this ifeature in a machined weldment since this is not available.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Accepted idea [US-115126]. Thanks!

elizabeth.maddux
Explorer

This is also something that my division at Parker Hannifin would love to see as now we have to derive the machined .iam and then put our iFeatures in on the derived part. Which just creates an extra part number for us to maintain.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-115126]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Merged legacy/duplicate Idea to this one:

Place an iFeature into multiple parts in an assembly
hoser_71 |  ‎11-14-2012 01:40 PM

I would like to associate an ifeature with a part, so when the part is placed in an assembly it will apply the iFeature into selected parts.

For example, if I place a bolt into an assembly, I want an iFeature to place the hole into the matching plate.  Or if I have a 6 hole pattern in a part, when I place the part into an assembly it places the matching threaded pattern into another part in the assembly.

astarnes
Enthusiast

I too would love to see this functionality.  I don't use the frame generator.  I keep all my frame comonents as iParts to update thoughout all my assemblies when I make a change to one iPart file.  Given that, I miter tubes all the time.  It gets tedious mitering 15-20 components each time.  I also have punches my company uses so an iFeature for those would be helpful as well.

karthur1
Mentor

We have been working around this for years.  Great to see this is "accepted"......can't wait to have it moved into the "implemented" column.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

karthur1
Mentor

@dan_szymanski

Dan,

Why does this move from "Accepted" to "future consideration"?  Is it because it has only received a few votes since 2015?  Maybe that is because people quit voting for it after it was "accepted".  Why should they vote for something that's "accepted"?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi @karthur1,

The recent status changes of many Ideas from "Accepted" to "Future Consideration" is part of an effort that, we hope, allows for more predictability.  The general notion that we are striving for, is to mark ideas that are being considered in the near term as "Accepted" and longer term as "Future Consideration".  Noting that both "Accepted" and "Future Consideration" ideas exist within our internal database (product enhancement backlog) as being "on our radar" so to speak.  We do not claim the legacy and current Ideas process to be perfect, however we are doing all we can to improve upon it (please understand 5,000+ ideas is quite a bit to manage Smiley Happy).  On a side note, I would hope that the status of an Idea would not prevent others from voting on it.  I personally would slap a vote on any idea I wanted to see in Inventor, regardless of status.  However that is just me.  Thanks & regards, -Dan

karthur1
Mentor

@dan_szymanski

That is ALOT of request to manage.  I applaud you for taking that on. The label "future Consideration" to me seems like it is moved futher down the priority list.  Not quite as low of a priority as "archived", but lower than "accepted".  From what you are saying, it seems like "Accepted" and Futur Consideration" are on the same level.  One is just near term and other is long term.

Keep up the good work. - Kirk

WCrihfield
Mentor

We have needed the ability to use iFeatures in assemblies for a very long time.  Another similar ability I have always wanted to have in an assembly is SketchBlockDefinitions and SketchBlocks, like we have in Parts.  If we could at least save a bunch of those in our assembly, we could readily drop them into our assembly level sketches for all our standard cut extrude features that must be done at the assembly level.  Being able to use iFeatures in our assemblies would be the obvious next step along that productivity enhancement ladder.

By the way @dan_szymanski , we can probably bundle this other very similar sounding idea that originated back in 2020 in with this one too.  It only has 16 votes as of posting this, but every vote counts towards getting this implemented sooner rather than later (louder shout from more people wanting it).

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/make-ifeatures-work-in-assemblies/idi-p/9812904 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report