Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern / Mirror Features in Multiple Solids At Once

Pattern / Mirror Features in Multiple Solids At Once

Currently, features such as holes and cuts can be applied to any number of solid bodies in a part.  However, patterns of these features cannot apply to more than one body.  The user must create identical patterns for each body affected, which may add up to a great deal of extra work.  These features also occupy space in the model browser, making navigation more difficult.

Please allow feature patterns to apply to multiple solid bodies, with the default being the same selection of bodies as the original feature.

- sbixler

19 Comments
blair
Mentor

Currently you can only pattern a Feature to a single body of a multi-body solid.

Example: Have a 3-part multi body solid, Solid-A, Solid-B and Solid-C. If you wish to create a feature such as a cut through all 3 solids it works fine. Now if you wish to Pattern the Feature, it will only be a pattern in one of the solid bodies, you don't have the ability to pattern it through more than one solid. You can currently only Pattern the feature to only one of the solid bodies.

BlurLT
Explorer

I would agree.

SBix26
Mentor
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi Blair,

I am closing this as duplicate per the create date.  Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master idea:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/pattern-mirror-features-in-multiple-solids-at-onc...

Thanks!

Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-51848]. Thanks!

Frodl
Advocate

In one part more (eg three) solid contained. An element (eg, a negative extrusion) to be applied to all solid bodies with an arrangement.
So far, a new arrangement has to be created for each solid.
Suggestion:
For the arrangement of multiple solid bodies should be able to be selected at a time, as this is also possible at an extrusion.

Anordnung.jpg

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi all,

I tried it in Inventor 2016, and also he's not working. I am giving Thumbs up.

esmith53
Advocate

I would definitely use this feature! I was actually about to create this same request.

DRoam
Mentor

Very valid request. We can apply single features to multiple solid bodies, but patterns only allow us to select a single solid as the participant. It would be nice to be able to select the participants as we can when creating a single feature.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. The enhancement allows you to pattern or mirror features that remove geometry across multiple solid bodies within a single part file. Likewise this enhancement is also visible within iFeatures. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Frodl
Advocate

With version 2017.3 this function was removed again. This is very bad. Please re-insert this function.
Thank you.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @Frodl,

Can you please explain the workflow that you perceive has been removed?  We were able to confirm that nothing has regressed in Autodesk Inventor 2017.3, with respect to the enhancement we implemented in 2017 RTM.  A hole feature that is set to penetrate multiple solids can be patterned across specified solids within the pattern command in both 2017 RTM (release) and 2017.3.  Thanks! -Dan 

Frodl
Advocate

Hello Dan,
sorry, you are right. Today it works fine again.

When I tried last week to select several volume bodies when arranging elements, this was not possible.
Even when I opened a component in which this function was already used, I received the message that the multiple selection of volume bodies is not supported.

We had installed the version 2017.3 a few days earlier. Therefore, I have assumed that this function was removed again.

Why I could not select several volume bodies when arranging elements, unfortunately I can not say.
Why the multiple selection now again works without problems, I unfortunately do not know.

But it is good, however, that it now works again as it should.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @Frodl, Glad to hear you figured it out.  Thanks for getting back to us.  -Dan

jimmyflash
Advocate

Very helpful improvement.
Thank you

vandammedesmaele
Observer

Hello

Hello

Could it be that with the latest update of the 2020 version this option is gone agian.

I made a drawing yesterday where all was fine.

I installed the update yesterday evening and this morning al my patterns are only in one solid anymore.

Can you please verify.

Thanks

Best Regards

Luc

johnsonshiue
Community Manager

Hi @vandammedesmaele,

It seems to work fine on a simple case on my machine. I am not aware of a regression like this. Please share an example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

manjuo
Contributor

@dan_szymanski

Hi, Mirroring to multiple bodies was working, and is not working now. I've tried restarting a couple of times, and that hasn't worked. This feature hasn't worked all day, but did work the last time I worked with this part a couple of weeks ago. Is there a known issue? I've tried to find any updates or hotfixes I might have missed and didn't see any in the download center. Is it possible to get some help with this? 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @manjuo, There are no known issues that I am aware of. Everything works on my end using Inv 2021.2. I am not sure what version of the software you are using. Please share more information if this is still an occurrence for you. Thanks & regards, -Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report