Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patent line drawing view

Patent line drawing view

Is there a plugin or some program that can convert your 3D work from Inventor into patent grade line drawings?

8 Comments
mrattray
Advisor

What's deficient about the current Inventor drawing environment?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know.

Is that for producing patent drawings.. ?

I'm new to Inventor.

From the drawings I've seen in Inventor they didn't have those little surface line details I've seen in patent drawings I've checked out on Google patent search.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mrattray
Advisor

It's been a long time since I did a patent drawing, but I don't remember putting any of those shading lines in like you show. I just made a standard engineering type drawing and it was fine. I think those are likely either very old drawings, or the drafter chose to add them to help illustrate the contours of an organic surface(like in your example).

If you're filing for a patent then your patent lawyer should be able to answer your questions about what's required on the drawing better than I can.

Try creating a new file using one of the available drawing templates and see what you can come up with.

Run through some of the drawing tutorials in the help section if you're having trouble.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a link to someone mentioing how their Inventor drawings were rejected by the USPTO for lack of shading lines.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Patent-Drawing-Shading-Lines/td-p/2808288

And if you have a look at: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?49788-Turning-inventor-designs-to-figures-for-a-US-pate...

you might recognize a familar member also from this forum who says:

"Patent (US) drawings are not dimensioned engineering drawings.
The closest image type from Inventor is an Illustration rendering type."

I'm doing this solo, no patent attorneys. Small personal project.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also looking for a way to add the linear shading lines to my drawings for a patent. I believe that a utility patent doesn't require linear shading lines but a design patent does. 

In the past I've had to export the inventor drawing file to a .dwg and manually add the linear shading lines. This sucks and takes for ever. Now I have to do it again but was hoping to find an easier way.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

BRAX is correct that US design patents need surface shading, so the examiner can understand how surfaces change.

As of this post, I currently have to do the same thing [model in inventor>export .dwg>add lines manually]

Maybe a plug-in can be worked into the drawing dialog box (where you can select views, hidden lines, tangency etc)

Similar to selecting the rendered option for views.

Some examples of manually shaded design patents can be seen on {link}

http://nbgdrafting.com/service/ip-patent-drawing-drafting/#design-patents

Surface shading is mostly derived from the tangency lines and offset from or perpendicular to the tangent lines.

The entire object doesnt have to be covered in shading,

-The drawing should be provided with appropriate surface shading which shows clearly the character and contour of all surfaces of any three-dimensional aspects of the design. Surface shading is also necessary to distinguish between any open and solid areas of the design- [excerpt; https://www.uspto.gov/patents-getting-started/patent-basics/types-patent-applications/design-patent-... ]

A Plug-in to help alleviate or expedite this process would be extremely helpful. 

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. The product team continually reviews this forum aiming to deliver in the most impactful way we can based on voting. We also regularly examine the list to make sure it reflects the most current Ideas. As part of this process we archive old Ideas that haven’t received broad support. This ensures there is room for new Ideas to be reviewed by the community and for the most relevant and meaningful ones to gain votes.

This Idea is archived because it's been on the board for over a year and hasn't received many votes. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support across the community, you're welcome to do so. Leveraging images, animated gifs or sample mock-ups can help convey concepts and generate more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others that should be accounted for, please let us know.

- INV.IdeaReview

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report