Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts List sorting

Parts List sorting

When working in an IDW it would be nice if I set A particular parts list to sort by item number it would always sort by item number even when parts are added and removed so I don't need to edit the list and tell it to sort by part number......again.

8 Comments
Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

not a bad idea.

i would like to suggest that this is user toggle option, eg

within the parts list edit window, there is a tickbox called "Dynamic sort" that when turned off, is like we currently have. when turned on it does what this idea is requesting.

karthur1
Mentor

Great Idea !!  How many times have I printed a drawing just to realize that the BOM is not sorted..... UGH!

Agree that it should have a switch somewhere to turn it on/off .  Also need to consider if the sort writes back to the assembly as well.

jtylerbc
Mentor

We work around this currently with an iLogic rule, but it would be great to have it as built-in functionality of the parts list.

I would like it even more if the sort option could be saved as part of the parts list style, so it didn't have to be turned on for each parts list individually.

SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration
Excellent idea, [US14237]
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US14237] is under review by the development team.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US14237]. Thanks!
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. A new “Auto Sort on Update” option has been provided within the Sort command when editing a Parts List in a Drawing. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
DRoam
Mentor

If anyone would like to see this functionality completed by adding auto-sort and auto-renumber for the Bill of Materials, you can vote for that here: Sort Bill of materials, as well as here: Bill of Materials.

Auto-sorting the Parts List is great, but it's only half the job. If parts are added or modified, and the sort order changes, the item numbers need to be re-numbered as well. Some people will not use this, because they want consistent Balloon numbers across drawing revisions. But some of us just use the balloons for reference to the Parts List and would prefer that the numbers always be in numeric order on the Parts List.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report