Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make iProperties accessible in drawing dimensions

Make iProperties accessible in drawing dimensions

My company regularly puts additional model information inside of drawing dimensions, for instance "31 SPACES AT 7 3/8" = <<>>", where 31 and 7 3/8" are parameters that would need to come from the model. Unfortunately, you cannot access the parameter's custom formatting from the dimension text editor. You can insert the parameter, but that is always the decimal version in base units. It would be nice if the iProperties were accessible from here or if the parameters had an option to place the custom formatted version. This functionality is available when placing a note on a drawing, so I imagine it wouldn't take much to allow this in a drawing dimension as well. Thanks!

dimension_text.PNG

6 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inventor is parametric, All dimensions can be linked and we can make very intelligent models that completely change with few parameter changes in iLogic forms.

Inventor is parametric, till we enter drawing space... Many errors... Pink is not my favorite crayon...

I would like to be able to link parameters from my skeleton model to my drawing and be able to use them in sketches.

Fx Parameters is completely worthless now on drawing environment.

Also 'get model sketches' is pretty bugged and often does not update.

Tags (2)
stuartmp
Advocate

I agree model dimension do not attach well to drawing views.

ulasdeniz
Mentor

I agree too. Also Why we cannot use drawing parameters in texts? please provide us this like model parameters can be used in texts. 

mcgyvr
Consultant

Being able to access iproperties and model parameters in the dimension dialog would be quite helpful

freesbee
Collaborator

I agree on the custom formatting

Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems such a simple idea.

From the Dimensions Text box to the Format Text box it is possible to get the Parameters.

Why not take the same route to get to a Part's or Assembly's iProperties ? ? ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report