Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlay View in Section View

Overlay View in Section View

The topic says it all, really. I would really like the ability to create an Overlay View in a Section View. There are many times this have been missed.

It has somewhat been solved by placing an additional Base View with the other positional representation, and make a new Section View on that one in the same location. But it would have been so much easier to just make an Overlay View instead, but it's not availale.

22 Comments
melmo
Enthusiast

Seconded.  It's horse excrement that this is not readily available and it's just a s bad that there is not a user-friendly workaround. I've done what you described and the probelem with that is that you have to manually overlap the views.  I could not find anyway of automatically aligning the same edge in two views.

Another workaround I've found is to create a sectioned assembly using the extrude command at the assembly level.  The downside is that you don't get hatch marks. 

crmayo
Advocate

Another workaround I use is to create a new base view - apply a breakout section and then apply an overlay on that.  You still have to create the section arrows.

MTimmis_ADSK
Advocate

It would also be useful to and Overlay to Detail Views within drawings too.

jasonrecords
Advocate

I would like to see more functionality of views with overlays:

1) add a break view

2) crop a view with a overlay

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [511]. Thanks!

Fallow
Participant

Any progress on this idea?

catot
Advocate

yes, @dan_szymanski, what's the status on this? It's still not possible to do this in Inventor 2017...

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Create overlay for Section

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi nausd,

Can you clarify you idea please?

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi Curtis_Waguespack

I create a draw, then create a drawing view, then section, then I want to Overlay and does not work for section.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi @catot,

This story belongs to a broader epic to extend support for overlays to support multiple view types (Detail, Section, Breakout, Cropped & Broken).  I cannot share delivery plans or status for any functionality on public forums (due to revenue recognition ramifications), so if anyone is curious to learn what the Inventor Engineering team is up to, I would encourage you to become a member of our beta community (https://beta.autodesk.com).  Thanks.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

Telson.Hadden
Advocate

How is this not implemented yet?  This exists in every other drafting package...  While you're adding it to section views, detail views also please.

ic198
Advocate

@dan_szymanskiany progress on this? It is beyond frustrating this still cannot be done despite having been requested in 2013, and being such an obvious and necessary requirement. I'm currently trying to create a drawing of a folding ladder both deployed and in it's locker. I need to use a Section view to see into the locker, but then I can't use an Overlay to show the ladder stored. What's really crazy is if I create a Projected View of the Section View (on the left in the screenshot below), I can put an Overlay on that!Capture.PNG

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi Ian,

I replied to you within the Beta regarding this.

Cheers,

Dan

andrewdroth
Advisor

I'm getting tired of waiting on this one.

Telson.Hadden
Advocate

Please tell me this made it into 2020?

andrewdroth
Advisor

@Telson.Hadden Sorry, but no.

Then please tell me this made it into AUTODESK INVENTOR PROFESSIONAL 2022?

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

It annoys me that this functionality is not available. How to create new machines when the program still has some limitations? I'm disappointed.

2.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report