Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orientation acc View Cube settings on first New 2D Sketch

Orientation acc View Cube settings on first New 2D Sketch

Create new part -> Create new Sketch: Part is rotated to xyz position.

But we have changed the original orientation in the View Cube Settings.

Change orientation acc View Cube settings on first New 2D Sketch?

Orientation acc View Cube settings on first New 2D Sketch.jpg

6 Comments
smilinger
Advisor

I like this idea.

But sometimes I don't want change the orientation at all.

Maybe we can create a new option in Application Options, and let the user to make the decision.

So if the option is not checked, do not change view orientation on sketch creation.

If it's checked, change view orientation according to View Cube settings (or Home view orientation) on sketch creation.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [3470]. Thanks!

schnautza
Advocate

I've reset my axes with Z-UP (as is common practice in math and all other cad programs, because Inventor models always import sideways into other programs, even Autodesk's own Simulation Mechanical!).

But in doing this, now when I create a sketch, the model turns sideways as soon as I hit "Start 2D sketch", before I even select the sketch plane. There is absolutely no reason the model should move AT ALL until you've picked your sketch plane.

blessing86
Enthusiast

There is a work-around until Autodesk changes the coding in the program. see message 20 in the thread below: 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/origin-plane-issues/td-p/7384124

newsletterhell
Enthusiast

Can we change this to current issue instead of "future consideration?" It has been over 6 years.

The problem with this behavior for me is especially in creating parts in the assembly context. When I go to create a sketch, I am already looking at where I want to place the sketch. I do not want to irritatingly lose my place and be pulled to an entirely irrelevant viewpoint every time I need to sketch something.

Also, I have both boxes for "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation and edit" unchecked already.

josh
Enthusiast

Voted and bump. It is very annoying to lose control of the view when I am seeing exactly what I want before creating or activating a sketch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report