Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project geometry as construction

Project geometry as construction

It would be good to have an option for projected geometry to be construction lines. This would eliminate having multiple closed profiles in a sketch when the autoproject edges option is enabled; yet allow reference to other features / parts.

32 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

Having this as an Application Option (on the Sketch tab) would be great.  More often than not I end up changing projected geometry to construction, so it would be nice if it just came in that way.

ljordan
Advocate
All you have to do is turn on construction before you project geometry. Once it is turned on, all selected geometry to be projected comes in as construction lines.
tmuel
Advocate
I understand that, actually a better workflow, is to change it after so you don't have to toggle construction back off.

I almost always want projected geometry to be construction. An option would save 3 clicks every time geometry is projected.
mrattray
Advisor

I would discourage use of the auto-project option. It tends to make your sketches messy and unstable. Instead, simply project what is needed. You'll also likely find that you suddenly don't have nearly as much desire for this feature.

tmuel
Advocate
I agree completely, and teach this in training classes. Auto-project option aside, when I manually project geometry, it now costs 1 or 2 more clicks to change it to construction (and yes, I understand I can toggle it to construction, but then it needs to be changed back) . I think projected geometry should defer to construction, or at least have an option. I assume this would be a simple "JDI" enhancement.

Tim
Anonymous
Not applicable

When starting a new sketch; I can’t find a way of automatically project edges as “Construction Geometry” instead of “Work Geometry”. It would be a great advantage if this was possible.  

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi njorkcad,

I assign a keyboard shortcut to the Construction Line tool, and that allows me to toggle Constuction Line on, then Project Geometry, and then toggle it back off.

The steps to do this are included in the tips at this link:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/04/winning-battle-with-projected-geometery.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

jtylerbc
Mentor
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
WillMorganmhs
Enthusiast

in a part when you use an edge of the part as a reference, it creates a new line. Can that default to a construction line instead since that is what I am using it for? It is annoying to change every line to a reference line.

jtylerbc
Mentor

There are a couple of existing ideas asking for the same thing - one of them has already been marked as Duplicate.  This one needs to be marked as Duplicate as well.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Project-geometry-as-construction/idi-p/4827911

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Project-edge-as-construction-geometry-when-starti...

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-55221]. Thanks!

MikeSmell_ADSK
Autodesk

User would like the ability to be able to project edges as construction geometry as part of the initial command selection. Currently, a user must first project the edges, then select them and define them as construction lines. This is an extra step in the process that could be avoided if a Project Edges as Construction option existed. 

Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

With all the "democracy", I understand that there are the large customers and small customers.

I've asked many times for enhancements and I was told that I have to put them myself in the IdeaStation.

For this reason, put these requests here (this is all great input), but omit the customer name, it just make the small and may feel second class citizens.

Thank you.

JBerns
Advisor

Are you projecting within a part or within an assembly (part to another part)?

In my experience, you enable the Contruction or Centerline mode and then Project the geometry. No additioanl editing required. This works in Part or assembly environment.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Regards,

Jerry

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be excellent, if you could default projected geometry to be construction.  Most of the time, I'm trying to dimension to them or be concentric to, etc.  A checkbox in tools>options that let users select which default they prefer would be great.

Example, if I make a smaller hole concentric to one existing, it pulls in the previous circle as regular geometry and I can't select only the smaller one for making a thru hole.

Same with datums.  I have to project them to dimension to them, but they come is as regluar lines, not construction geometry, so I add another step to make them construction and thereby not in the way when it comes to to make solids or cuts.  All these extra clicks add up when you have carpel tunnel as I and many other designers do.  Thanks!

ref.jpg

brownst
Autodesk

This is a great idea, even better if you could reference geometry directly skiping the project geometry command entirely.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, that would work as well

GNR88
Enthusiast

there are a few things you might try, you can already dimension from non projected geometry to drawn geometry and it will auto project for you. it must be done in that order though.

Also in the application options out have a tick box for auto project geometry on sketch creation. this may be over kill for what you want or not give you the geometry you need but its something to try.

let me know what you think

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the tick box.  Then what happens it it projects EVERYTHING on the surface which is generally going to be extra clutter, and again, it doesn't default to construction.

Yes, I can contraint and dimension to geometry outside the sketch (but not datums, doh!) but they turn into sketch geometry.  They should be references, so reference geometry / construction geometry.  Not a huge deal, but would be a nice improvement if there was a tick box for how things project by default.  For me, construction would fit into my work flow much better.  Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report