Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open from the Vault Browser in Inventor

Open from the Vault Browser in Inventor

Dear Dev,

It would be nice if you could open a file directly from the Vault Brower in Inventor. This is usefull when working with skeleton models. With the vault browser is't easy to find the relations, but then I need to first open a part to find the skeleton file. I hope this makes sense, if not leave a message 🙂 A picture below explains it maybe a bit better:

Open in Vault Browser.png

11 Comments
pdhn8580
Enthusiast

Within Inventor there is the browser on the left hand side showing all parts and assemblies; this can be switched from model to show representations, vault, or favorites. When in the vault "Tab" of the browser it would be amazing if we could right click a part or assembly and open directly from there. Doing a "find in window" command can take a while to find the part, this would greatly improve workflow.

Tags (1)
scottmoyse
Mentor

You can highlight the object in the Vault browser, then right click anywhere in the graphics window to achieve this. Not ideal, but a pretty good workaround.

pdhn8580
Enthusiast

That does seem to work in some cases, which should help at times. However if the assembly has more than 1 of a part or assembly it will not be able to open due to multiple of the same item being selected.

swalton
Mentor

If you select your component in the vault browser and move your mouse pointer into the graphics window, you can right-click and get the open command.  However, it only works if there is only one instance of the component in the assembly. 

This improvement should work no matter how many instances of the component are in the assembly.

DavidTruyens
Advocate

Hi Swalton,

I know you could do that, but that doesn't work if you use a skeleton part (derived within another part), because it's just not in that assembley. So no change to open it that way...  

Regards,

David

karl.hosking
Contributor

I second this idea. I've been after this for a few years now.

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

actually now that you mention it, the switching between model and vault browser / filter is such a time burner. i would love to have both running if i choose to, or, have the ability to switch between without having to click with the mouse... eg a hot key that fires the one that is not active.

pdhn8580
Enthusiast

This is a good idea, perhaps you should check to see if there is already the same idea before posting next time though.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/right-click-open-from-inventor-vault-browser-tab/...

fatcat77
Explorer

I have wanted this option for years!  As a Vault Administrator, I spend tons of time helping people with their models and switching back and forth from Model Tab to Vault Tab does kill a lot of time.  Plus it is so much easier to find assemblies and parts from the Vault Browser in Inventor since you don't have all of the contraint, planes and other symbols that clutter up the model tree.  Please add this capability Autodesk!!!!  I came here to add this idea but jumped on this one since DTS posted it!  Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi pdhn8580, I am marking this Idea as Duplicate of http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/open-from-the-vault-browser-in-inventor/idi-p/523... as it currently has over 30 kudos, understanding that your Idea was logged 21 days before it.  It would seem community members love visuals & cast more kudos when there is an image (I can't blame them, as I would likely do the same).  Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to not split votes.  Thanks for understanding. -Dan   

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report