Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No warning if derived feature no longer exists!

No warning if derived feature no longer exists!

This is related to this post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Delete-work-features-from-derived-part/m-p/3224204/hi...

Create a part called Part1. Create a plane in that part. Create another part called Part2 and derive in the plane from Part1. Use that plane to create some geometry. Go back to Part1, right-click on the plane and change it's export state. Open up Part2 and there will pop up a nice big error message saying the plane has had its export status turned off. However, if instead of changing the export status of the plane, you simply delete it from Part1 and then open Part2, the plane will still appear to be derived in and there will be no warning that the plane does not exist, and is not linked to anything.

This is such a ridiculous situation I couldn't believe it exists when it caught me out recently, but it does. Autodesk, please sort this out!

Even better would be an error message that pops up when you try and delete the plane in Part1, telling you that it is used in Part2, but for the moment I will settle for an error message when you open and update Part2!

9 Comments
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

@ic198, when deleting the work features in source part, the deleted work features will be removed from derived part when updating. Does it work fine for you? For the issue in the related post, it has been resolved in Inventor 2019. You could have a try.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

@ic198, please try the fix in Inventor 2019.

ic198
Advocate

Hi, I am using Inventor 2019.0.1, build 136, and this is definitely NOT fixed. Please can you send me an email address and I will send you some files to try.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@ic198, could you please send the dataset to me at river-yijiang.cai@autodesk.com?

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@ic198, I have received the sample from you. 

I think it was a designed behavior. All derived objects when consumed by downstream features will stay even if the source objects are deleted in the source file. The behavior is to help stabilize the compute. Only the unconsumed derived objects will be deleted from the derive part when the source objects are deleted. Does it make sense for you?

ic198
Advocate

It makes sense but it is a terrible way for a parametric program based on derived features to behave! There has to be a warning or some notification- at the very least the icon of the derived feature should change to show that it is no longer derived in any meaningful sense.

ic198
Advocate

Please change the status, as the fix I have asked for has not been implemented.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@ic198 it sounds to make sense to have the message warning/notification for the change. For the existing behavior, the flash icon for update button will show to notify the user to update the design. When editing the derive feature, the deleting object will not show in the dialog, but it is kept in the downstream features.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Based on the details from customer feedback, we will change the status here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report