Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminate the Need for an IPN File

Eliminate the Need for an IPN File

If the only purpose for an IPN file is to create an exploded view, why not incorporate the tools needed to make an exploded view right into the assembly files.  This way there is no extra files created.  Then in the drawing you could have an option in the edit view dialog to show the view exploded based on the exploded configuration in the assembly.

8 Comments
Dan_Margulius
Advisor

Hello, 

I want to explode my assy directly in the assembly environment without needing the ipn. 

IPN has problems with big assemblies, harness , design views and in general it adds more files for me to manange. 

No need to have IPN, do it in the assembly directly. It is so much simpler. 

Thanks

Dan

mthomas
Collaborator

or even better scrap the IPN and include Inventor Publisher in the Suite (although it needs large assembly performance improvements first)

jletcher
Advisor

I don't like this idea.

1st most large assemblies have subs that should be exploded on their own.

2nd most assemblies are large in size (not file size) but dimensional and a exploded view of this size would be a dot in the drawing.

3rd the file size of the assembly with an exploded view built in would be huge and take forever to open. so the next thing you would complain about is it takes 10 minutes to open an assembly.

Dan_Margulius
Advisor

I hope Inventor Publisher will be inside the Suites,

I doubt it though because Publisher is going to the Cloud. 

Dan

MattH_Work
Collaborator

Position Reps could be used to produce an 'exploded' view.

How about giving us some extra 'tweak' tools within the Assembly environment to facilitate the exploding proccess, tools designed to replicate the IPN environment (I 'could' do it by overriding contraints but that would take to long), give us tools to drag components and capture the resulting position (just like tweak in IPN)

smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

JoeBarnes4076
Advocate

This could be a huge time saver and get people to use it more.  Some users avoid using because of the extra file to manage and reference.  Presentations should be just another sub-node in the representations folder

PresentationViewsInAssembly.PNG

danmachen
Advocate

@JoeBarnes4076 - Nice work on the model tree suggestion. I think this would be a welcome addition. 

I have also noted that using vault & Inventor rename functions seems to not work correctly with some ipn files. 

If they incorporated this functionality into the 'presentation views' as you suggest it would be great and save us that extra file to manage and uprevise.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report