Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
19 Kudos
karthur1

Need ability to add Color/texture to machined surface

by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-18-2012 08:07 AM

I have NEVER understood why I cant add a color/texture to a machined surface in the machining environment.  Sure there are workarounds (derive the part out) but I just wnat to be able to click on a face that is machined and change to color or maybe even make it look like its been machined.

Accepted idea [US16144]. Thanks!
Comments
by rmcculloch on ‎01-30-2013 09:53 AM

I agree. There are times when I have a welded assembly that needs registers machined after welding.

Then the entire assy needs to be painted (corrosion) EXCEPT for the machined face & centering register.

To select individual faces at this assy level would make this so easy to do.

by Employee on ‎03-20-2013 02:15 PM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Valued Contributor 3DAli on ‎03-22-2013 09:39 AM

I agree %100, same problem here and thanks for the idea of the deriving part, it works for the moment, but it would be much better if you can do it directly under machining environment.

Thanks

by Employee on ‎04-24-2013 12:16 PM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US16144]. Thanks!
by Mentor on ‎01-13-2014 07:01 AM

I would also like to see this added. Not only for in the Machining Environment but across the entire assembly environment. We paint our sub-assemblies in-house and we plug our cylinders so that no paint gets inside of them. Obviously the way it is now section and isometric views look horrible and not accurate. Please add this simple yet highly effective functionality so that our assemblies can further match real-world workflows. There shouldn'ty be any reason I should have to create a derived "paint layer" and constrain that to my assembly just so my final product looks correct. Just allow us the ability to paint faces at the assembly level, we beg you!

When you select Component Priority Selection....

COMPONENT SELECT.jpg

When you select Face Selection...

FACE.jpg

No Appearances available when using Face Selection..

NO APPERANCES AVAIL.jpg

This is all we're asking for at the Assembly level....

WE WANT.jpg

Because we could go from this...

idw paint wrong.jpg

To this....

COMPLETE.jpg

by Contributor gcook on ‎04-23-2014 01:03 PM

This is an ancient issue, and should have been addressed long ago.  I would also like to add a way to superimpose machined and unmachined weldments, so the machinest can easily see dotted lines where the material has to be removed.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎05-29-2014 05:38 AM

gcook.... that is a great idea, but probably warrants its own thread in the IdeaStation.  The way we do this now is we have to create a sketch in the idw to show the machining stock.  Very time consuming and when there are changes, sometimes this gets missed.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube