Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need ability to add Color/texture to machined surface

Need ability to add Color/texture to machined surface

I have NEVER understood why I cant add a color/texture to a machined surface in the machining environment.  Sure there are workarounds (derive the part out) but I just wnat to be able to click on a face that is machined and change to color or maybe even make it look like its been machined.

76 Comments
yannick3
Collaborator

The ability to apply color to top assembly like welding assembly.

many welding assembly need to be paint and we cannot apply color to it.

Tags (1)
rmcculloch
Explorer

I agree. There are times when I have a welded assembly that needs registers machined after welding.

Then the entire assy needs to be painted (corrosion) EXCEPT for the machined face & centering register.

To select individual faces at this assy level would make this so easy to do.

3DAli
Collaborator

Hi,

in a situation like what is attached, in a machining process after weldment, you might need to show machined cut or polished faces which might include both weld bead and part(s) faces, I think it would be a nice idea to have access to appearance of those faces, like what we have in part environment, select those faces and change their appearance to polished steel for instance. this cant be done at the moment in 2013 version and it would be pretty neat to have it in 2014 or next versions.

Thank you for your supports

Regards

Ali

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support
This is a duplicate request of idea http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Need-ability-to-add-Color-texture-to-machined-sur... Please visit the other idea and cast your kudo there as to not split the votes. Thanks.
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

3DAli
Collaborator

I agree %100, same problem here and thanks for the idea of the deriving part, it works for the moment, but it would be much better if you can do it directly under machining environment.

Thanks

3DAli
Collaborator

Thank you dan,

I just did as you adviced. hopefully this helps to bring the vote up to the acceptable level.

Regards

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [13391]. Thanks!

davef
Advocate

Can we add the ability to color faces on assemblies?  I need to document where paint is to be applied and where it's not to be applied in an assembly environment.  Being able to change face colors in the parts is good - but doesn't always address a project's needs.  I (and probably others) need to be able to do this at the assembly level. 

jtylerbc
Mentor

This would also be useful for holes drilled at the assembly level, and for Machining features in weldments.

karthur1
Mentor

There is an accepted suggestion here that deals with the machining environment, which is really a "special" assembly.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Need-ability-to-add-Color-texture-to-machined-sur...

davef
Advocate

Karthur1,  Thanks for pointing me to the link.  I searched for ideastation suggestions in line with this one - but didn't see the request you posted last year.  Looks like mine is redundant.  Glad to hear your idea was accepted; hopefully it will be implemented in IV2015.

kwilson_design
Collaborator

I would also like to see this added. Not only for in the Machining Environment but across the entire assembly environment. We paint our sub-assemblies in-house and we plug our cylinders so that no paint gets inside of them. Obviously the way it is now section and isometric views look horrible and not accurate. Please add this simple yet highly effective functionality so that our assemblies can further match real-world workflows. There shouldn'ty be any reason I should have to create a derived "paint layer" and constrain that to my assembly just so my final product looks correct. Just allow us the ability to paint faces at the assembly level, we beg you!

When you select Component Priority Selection....

COMPONENT SELECT.jpg

When you select Face Selection...

FACE.jpg

No Appearances available when using Face Selection..

NO APPERANCES AVAIL.jpg

This is all we're asking for at the Assembly level....

WE WANT.jpg

Because we could go from this...

idw paint wrong.jpg

To this....

COMPLETE.jpg

gcook
Enthusiast

This is an ancient issue, and should have been addressed long ago.  I would also like to add a way to superimpose machined and unmachined weldments, so the machinest can easily see dotted lines where the material has to be removed.

iMaJiNe_Designs
Advocate
karthur1
Mentor

gcook.... that is a great idea, but probably warrants its own thread in the IdeaStation.  The way we do this now is we have to create a sketch in the idw to show the machining stock.  Very time consuming and when there are changes, sometimes this gets missed.

MikeSmell_ADSK
Autodesk

User would like the ability to modify the appearance properties of a face from the assembly level environment. Today the user is required to either open the part directly, or perform an edit on the desired part in the assembly environment. This restriction prevents the user from modifying the appearance of multiple surfaces across multiple parts in a single operation.

Tags (1)
mgoldberg
Participant

I second any ability to be able to show parts as they appear and/or are modified at assembly or weldment levels by machining or other operations that will be better described in the drawing or presentation by more realistic appearance at the design level.  I don't ordinarily do Presentations but having prints with accurate appearance especially when in a detail or a detailed ISO view are very important.

mgoldberg
Participant

The thing is that in reality when we machine it or perform other operations like install press fit S.S. pins you can at least see the different grain or finishing texture and usually you can see a boundary line where there is a difference even if the surfaces are otherwise relatively coplanar. But texture and "method of finish" is often the only way you can see these kinds of thing in materials that we weld together and then post process but that otherwise are not finished. In normal manufacturing I see this regularly with SS, Aluminum, a wide variety of plastics and rubbers and all in situations where one form or another of either supporting, sales or manufacturing documentation depend upon the difference in texture to be able to differentiate areas.

info
Contributor

In part level you can define each face off the part to another colour.

But after you have place this part in a assembly you can only change the colour off the whole part, some faces you dont want to paint.

And if this is possible you can make a colour drawing for the painting company.

Is this maby a idea for the weldment environments??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report