Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Hole Types from the Same Sketch

Multiple Hole Types from the Same Sketch

All,

I was working on a part the other day with some clearance and tapped holes and thought it would be great if one could use the same sketch for multiple hole types.  Perhaps the hole feature dialogue box could have an "Apply" button, which would allow a user to consume of some of the center points of a sketch and then use a different hole type on another set of center points.  Another thought that comes to my mind would be to utilize a similar approach as the "Fillet" tool, which allows for multiple selections during one session of the command (however, it may still be a good idea to keep the different hole types separate).

This is related to the accepted idea (US16145) and might be a good solution in general for all scenarios...

Link to related idea: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Need-ability-to-share-sketch-in-machining-environ...

Have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

4 Comments
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi petestrycharske,

I think you can do what you want currently by following this workflow.

1. Start the Hole tool and use the CTRL key to select some of the sketch points (if needed).
  2. Click OK to create the hole feature for the selected sketch points.
  3. In the browser turn the Visibility of the sketch on (or Share the sketch).
  4. Start the Hole tool again and select the remaining sketch points to apply a different hole type.

Feel free to comment about how these steps fall short of your idea, in order to help others better understand the requested improvement.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

petestrycharske
Advisor

Curtis,

I understand your workflow and have used it many times.  While quite effective, I thought it might be a little faster if one could add multiple hole types from a single sketch (without having to share it) while staying in one instance of the "Hole" command.  Nothing earth shattering, but I was working on a part and thought that would be a nice feature to have, if it could work in a similar fashion to the "Fillet" tool.

So to sum up, the share sketch workflow is great, but thought this other method might be a little faster.  Food for thought anyway...  Always appreciate feedback and have benefited greatly from your posts on the forums.  Thanks, Curtis!

Peace,

Pete

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Thanks for the clarification Pete. I've given it a Kudo!

bullit2312
Advocate

I can't believe this command still doesn't exist.

As you have suggested the principle is there already within the fillet command using the 'click to add' function. I'd love to see this function added to the hole command. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report