Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Vault Browser from Model Browser

Separate Vault Browser from Model Browser

When working with Vaulted files, you should be able to view the Vault Browser (sidebar) separately from the Model Browser. 

I would like to always have the Vault Browser open, even when working with the model trees.  As it is right now, you have to switch your browser between Vault and Model.

iLogic has it's own browser, Vault should too.

10 Comments
MattH_Work
Collaborator

How about allowing more than 1 browser to be displayed at any one time. I'd like to see my main feature browser, Vault browser and the new Part folder browser (see 'Browser Folders in Part Environment' idea) at the same time, all docked to different parts of the screen (or different monitors (see 'Support for Multiple Monitors' idea))

I can see the main browser & ilogic browsers together, why not ALL browser variants for a particular environment

Main browser (IPT Featue, IAM Components, IDW Views)

iLogic (IPT, IAM, IDW)

Vault (IPT, IAM, IDW)

Favourites (IAM)

Any other I cant think of right now

Tags (1)
ChrisAtherton
Advocate

Instead of a drop down to swap the model browser between model, favourites, vault, cam etc ... could we have this tab based?  This will help make the options for the browser more obvious.

ChrisAtherton
Advocate

Its a good idea but I would personaly prefer to see the Vault status icon in the model browser so I have one source of information in my model.

melmo
Enthusiast

I like that idea too.  You should post it as a request.

pcrawley
Advisor

If the developers wanted some ideas, just take a look at the Revit browser - or Vred's browser... The technology is already there.

In Revit for example, there are multiple "browsers", but they are independent windows that be put together in many ways:

1. They can float or dock (great if you have multiple screens - you can spread everything out).
  2. They can be stacked on top of eachother in a single panel (like Inventor's model and iLogic browsers)
  3. They can be placed on top of eachother so they appear full-height, but the other browsers appear as tabs at the bottom of the window.

All variations can dock or float - so you really have the best of all worlds.  (I've seen instances of the Revit browser is run on a second screen in portrait mode allowing much more of the data to be visible without scrolling.  Great idea!)

browser ideas.jpg

Combining more Vault data into the standard Inventor browser has been called for ever since I can remember.  As a Vault user, I know the trees are not identical and adding Vault status indicators to the model browser could cause performance problems, but doing something similar to the above would answer most of the ideas here on the Idea Station.

One problem with this Idea Station is that the same idea gets posted many times using different wording - and consequently, the relavence of the request gets diluted.  I've found all the following posts related to this issue - any chance they can be merged and all the kudos points added together?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support
A duplicate request for this Idea already exists. Please visit the Master Idea and cast your kudo there as to not split the votes. Thanks! http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Separate-Vault-Browser-from-Model-Browser/idi-p/5...
porteg
Community Visitor

Yes, yes, YES !!!

We loose hundreds of hours ever week due to this lack of visibility. We need a vault state indicator in the model browser. PLEASE !!

karthur1
Mentor

Just an FYI.  There is a free app in the app store that will allow this.  Its called MyVaultBrowser. It is just like the vault browser you are familiar with, but its dockable.

I have it installed and like the way it works.  

Cheers to the developer!!

karthur1
Mentor

Just an FYI.  There is a free app in the app store that will allow this.  Its called MyVaultBrowser. It is just like thevault browser you are familiar with, but its dockable.

I have it installed and like the way it works.  

Cheers to the developer!!!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.  With the modernized browser panels introduced in Autodesk Inventor 2018, you can now place a Vault add-in browser panel directly beside or atop your model browser panel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report