Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More NPT Hole Options

More NPT Hole Options

We often have to neck down our through hole when drilling gauge taps due to limited space, and it'd be nice if we could control the through hole's diameter and tap drill depth in one hole feature / hole note.

An example note with auto-populated fields in brackets:

[Ø.63] THRU

[Ø.891] X [.88 MAX]

[3/4 - 14 NPT]

It may be asking too much, however, as I believe the challenge would be the current availability of symbols in the hole note dialog.

NPT Suggestion

7 Comments
Generic
Advocate

Of course I see I screwed up after I post.

The tap depth dimension in green should be from the top of the feature per usual; not the bottom of the NPT threads.

jletcher
Advisor

All can be done now..

edit your spreadsheet................

Generic
Advocate

Can you please be less cryptic jletcher?

I'm interested in expanding the options of the current "Hole" (ipt, iam) and "Hole/Thread Notes" (idw) dialogs.

I'm not interested in pre-populating or modifying Inventor's default values.

Is there an option to do this by editing a spreadsheet?

karthur1
Mentor

Just like for standard tapped holes, we have "standard" depths for the tap and tap drill that it defaults to.  These are controlled by the excel spreadsheet and can be edited to met your own "standards".  I think what he is asking for is the same thing for NPT holes , which I think is a great idea.  I don't know why this was not included when theydone the "Standard" depths.

I have tried to change the originally released excel sheet (...\Design Data\XLS\en-US\Thread.xls) for the NPT holes. I can edit it, but the threads in the holes do not appear correct in the ipt or the idw for some of the sizes... so I reverted back to the original.

You don't want to be editing the Thread.xls on a daily basis.

Generic
Advocate

Thank you for your input karthur1.

I did some searching prior to my last post and did see references to the Thread.xls file alluded to in jletcher's response, but I've no interest in changing the Excel sheet's default values.

What I'm after is the on-the-fly ability to add a reduced thru hole; and, consequently, define the tap drill's depth because it has to stop somewhere (it's no longer a through hole).

The challenge is the handling of a new thru hole diameter value when it isn't the same as the tap drill's diameter.

Obviously, I can continue to use two holes to define this setup, but thought it'd be nice if it were rolled up into one; a three operation hole

instead of the current two operation limit.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report