Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Distint Color Difference with Constraints?

More Distint Color Difference with Constraints?

I know I struggle with the two shades of yellow when trying to contrain or edit contraints in assemblies.  Can we make them something that is a little more distinguishable?  Like read and green or yellow and orange or what ever that allows these two colors to not be in the same color family.

colors.JPG 

for "Wonderland".  I like this scheme except for this.

colors.JPG

24 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

Other schemes have the same problem with similar shades of blue, etc.  Very hard to distinguish at times, especially when one of the parts is also of a color similar to the highlight colors.

Cadmanto
Mentor

I noticed that.  I changed from the scheme I have used for a while to one that had a little more distinction, but yeah, this scheme is not the only one as you say.

pball
Advisor

I completely agree that two shades of the same color are really hard to tell apart and it makes no sense to have it like that. The good news is there is a program to edit the color schemes in Inventor. It's part of the SDK and while we're waiting for Autodesk to do something we can pick the colors we want.

Just do a search about using InventorColorSchemeEditor. It's quite easy to use and works well, though there is a warning because it's unsupported and supplied as an example.

cmcconnell
Collaborator

This worked excellent when it was first implimented. Both halves would highlite in contrasting colors when we hovered over the constraint (this has been replaced with similar colors showing when the constraint is edited)

mikeh7
Collaborator

Ditto on McConnell.  It was broken in IV2009.  While we’re talking highlighting, especially when trying to fix broken constraints, we could hover over the constraint and it would highlight the involved components, which in a large assembly is very important and helps you hone in on where the constraint is at.   Then editing the constraint highlighted the features associated.  Even more important is if the geometry constrained no longer exists, currently there is no way to highlight the part.

To take it to a wish level when geometry no longer exists causing a broken constraint it would be awesome to show a ghost of where that costraint was attached to.

We have default colors we powder coat parts and typically their Red and Green which tends to blend in w/ the feature highlighting.  I think we need intelligent highlighting that contrasts the color of the parts.

Thanks !

Cadmanto
Mentor

Since I first started with the program in 2011 what you are saying confirms that it used to be fine.

Like I always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!

jamjumpin
Advocate

I already posted this and they closed it saying they had fixed it.

Although, the new feature in 2014 that they cited is completely unrelated. 

Cadmanto
Mentor

So, what you are saying this idea is so called a duplicate?

Was 2014 the version it was supposeed to be fixed in?

Can you post screen shot of this feature you are referencing to?

mrattray
Advisor

Try using the "high contrast" scheme. I love it and have gotten all of my users to like it, too. Reminds us of AutoCAD.

Cadmanto
Mentor

Sorry, but that is too dismal of a background for me.  A little dark too.

I like something with a more upbeat and pastel look.

karthur1
Mentor

Thats why I like the good ole' "Easystreet" color scheme.  They removed this from Inventor several releases ago, I wish they would put it back.  Until they do, I will keep adding it manually for each release.  Just search on the forum and you will find it for your version of Inventor.

2013-10-30_1051.png

Cadmanto
Mentor

What is the difference between "Easy Street" and "Millenium".  The colorsd look the same.

color.JPG

SteveMDennis
Autodesk

So what's more important here folks? For us to add more contrasting schemes out of the box, which will likely never please everyone because there are differing levels of color blindness, etc. or to add the ability for you to customize them easier and persist those changes across releases?

Cadmanto
Mentor

I am not looking for more schemes, but rather more distinction between the colors within the scheme.

Doesn't make sense (forgive me) to have two colors within the yellow group when you are looking for definition between components.

You do bring up a great point, having the ability as well to customize is not always a bad thing.  I like that thought as well.

mikeh7
Collaborator

What I envision:  Inventor knows what the colors of the parts are, so have Inventor highlight on the opposite end of the color spectrum.  Don't know how realistic it is as you always have surrounding parts that maybe a different color.  Or how much overhead that would consume in processing time.  It doesn't matter that the highlighting color may change in an iam as different parts are selected, I just want to see what's highlighted.  Red highlight on a red part just doesn't work well.

As Steven mentioned your never gonna satisfy everyone with a color scheme because the possibility for component colors is endless, combined with users different like for background color......  The issue we have is that we color the majority of the parts to our most popular color options by the customer which typically is a shade of Red, Green, Black, Grey or Tan.  So we cover a pretty good range of the color spectrum.

To answer Steven's question which is my choice.  Let it be user defined that could be done as an App Option so I can set colors that contrast our semi Standard component colors.  And if the user changes the Color Scheme (for back ground color) maintain the custom Highlight color across all Color Schemes.

Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [3109]. Thanks!

DRoam
Mentor

All, please take a look at the following suggestion of a much more complete solution to this problem: Custom Colour Schemes - Inventor Application Options.

Rather than Autodesk fixing just one of the nonideal color settings, it would be much, MUCH better if they would just finally allow us to create our own custom color schemes. This is already possible using SDK tools, but it's a very cumbersome and technical process and even requires modifying the registry, which can lead to huge issues.

The functionality is already there, we just need Autodesk to finally bring that functionality to the Inventor UI.

If you'd like to see the ability to customize Inventor color schemes, please vote for this idea: Custom Colour Schemes - Inventor Application Options.

philthalmann
Enthusiast

Doesn't look like this was every changed sadly.. 

To add to this I would love to see the part names pop up when hovering over the selection buttons.. currently it simply says "First selection" Second Selection" which is not helpful. I always select the wrong button first when repairing mates and have to esc out of the dialog box and re open

AnthonyHarris90842
Collaborator

Even better would be an option for us to choose our own colours

karol.licko
Contributor

I'm surprised that this is not number 1 on the list.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report