Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
30 Kudos
karthur1

More control over sketch dimensions

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-05-2013 07:31 AM

I would like to be able to have more control over how the dimensions are displayed in the part sketch.  When we place dimensions they go to there own "automatic" placement.  Even if we arrange them, they will move back to where they want to go. Very frustrating and it makes for a cluttered sketch environment.

2013-04-05_0835.png

Another thing that I would like is to be able to drag the end point of the dimensions so it can be redefined.  The way it is now, we have to delete the dimension and the reassing it to where we want. For instance like the vertical 1.500 dim shown on the far left in the attached pic. Say that I wanted the 1.500 to go from the lower line its attached up to the hole center closer to the top. We have no way to drag the dim line.

Both of these features are available in other SW and it is really nice to have.

My apologies Kirk, I misinterpreted this request. I believe what you are asking for is behavior similar to what AutoCAD offers in respect to dragging dims? I have updated the status of this Idea and again I am sorry for the confusion on this one. Regards, Dan
Comments
by Employee on ‎06-10-2013 07:30 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Employee on ‎03-27-2014 12:01 PM
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Enhancements have been made within the Sketch environment to enable Relaxed dragging, display constraints on creation, show constraints for selected objects, delete selected 2D constraints, topology changes during offset, constraint inference control, virtual intersections and More! Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-27-2014 07:23 PM

Dan..... all the things you list here that are in 2015 are nice..... but we still do not have the ability to redefine a dimension by draggin it to a new point. 

Kirk

by Employee on ‎04-21-2014 07:38 AM
Status changed to: New Idea
My apologies Kirk, I misinterpreted this request. I believe what you are asking for is behavior similar to what AutoCAD offers in respect to dragging dims? I have updated the status of this Idea and again I am sorry for the confusion on this one. Regards, Dan
Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube