Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
5 Kudos
bhahn

More ANSI sizes in Frame Generator

by Contributor bhahn on ‎01-14-2013 11:38 AM

I totally understand and appreciate the ability to create custom shaped extrusions. However, I count no less than 27 sizes of square steel tubing smaller than 1 1/4"  available right now from my steel supplier. This is just one of the many common shapes that start at larger sizes than what I commonly use. Why does Inventor's library arbitrarily start at arbitrary sizes, ignoring everything smaller than it? Expecting every user to custom make every COMMON size of extrusion is unfortunate on a CAD platform that is otherwise so amazing. This issue comes up often enough that I feel the need to set aside a LARGE chunk of my time to create a FULL library of steel extrusions smaller than what Inventor offers.

Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-14-2013 12:01 PM

Hi bhahn,

Just as a side note,  my understanding is that Autodesk provides only the shapes that are ratified to the standard (for instance ANSI). I think there are a lot of common shapes that are not actually approved and ratified to the standard. This might help explain why so many shapes are not included in the Content Center files. But I'll give your IdeaStation submission a vote as well. Maybe Autodesk can include a way for users to find and share common shapes that are not included for Frame Generator (I've seen requests for timber and lumber shapes as well).

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube